No announcement yet.

New 8mm prints - why don't they 'pop'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 8mm prints - why don't they 'pop'?

Firstly let me say I'm delighted that there are new prints still being struck for the venerable bootlace format. Who would have thought that so long after super 8's heyday we would still be able to lace up brand new shorts, cutdowns and even features? There are lots of pluses to this new generation of prints, the new stripe formulation is excellent, the 600ft of Jurassic Park has some of the best sound I have ever heard on Super 8. Also, the definition is remarkably good too; there's a lot of information contained in the tiny frame - it looks like even the smallest details are preserved. My only note is that it seems to me that when compared to some of the prints being struck back in the 90's, the colour and contrast on the modern prints seems more muted; they don't 'pop' like some of the very best prints used to. Taking the Mater Cars, Pluto short or again JP (all shown at Blackpool this year) they all feel to me like the black levels need to be crushed a little and the saturation hiked up a wee bit. Again, this is not a criticism but a genuine query. I'd love to hear your views on it.

Hello Stu hope you are well.
    What we see on our screens can depend on many factors. The equipment we use, lighting and yes the printing side. Here we have no complaints as its pretty amazing we are seeing new material become available for our collections which has been (wait for it) reelly fun.

Here is a mobile phone snap of a 6ft projected image showing my latest delivery Jaws 600ft. Its crisp, colorful and has a superb stereo sound track.
    My humble views on the new releases but so nice to see a great edit and relive the memories of the old Universal 8 days.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Jaws1 - 2.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	48422

Comment

I too am very pleased and amazed we still have new prints being made and are quite happy with the quality we have today which is why I still buy them.

But talking about the colour I think its all down to the German lab used. I have many of these trailers and shorts mainly from CHC going back nearly 20 years, mostly printed on Acetate. I have to say all these German prints all have that muted colour look when compared to many of the Derann prints I have, which also contain more blue I have to say. Even the recent Xmas trailer reel I have printed on polyester has that muted look. Im still awaiting my copy of Jaws but as I said im still happy with them and have just become used to it from the German lab, if they close we have nothing.

Graham S

Comment

When the term "muted" is used, what does this mean...I'm of a mind to know the procedure used at the labs, how constructed and performed, as this would give us an idea to create one in the USA...technical savvy is necessary in our hobby/business or what have you...Cheers, Shorty

Comment

This term is new to me as well so I'm just gonna take a guess it probably means it has the magnetic track but sound has to be dubbed.

I'm not 100% sure that this is right

Comment

I think Stuart is referring to unsaturated or 'muddy' colors.

Comment

Muted colours are generally low in "saturation" and "brightness" - often darker colours - tending towards the muddy browns, beiges and mid-grey tones.

Comment

I saw the Cars short and it looked a fine release with amazing sound, but the reds reminded me of the somewhat muted look I recall from the Andec acetate prints from earlier years. On this particular release, I'd say the reds appear to have some orange, and thus you don't seem to see a really bright red or perhaps cherry/maroon.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Adsett View Post
                  I think Stuart is referring to unsaturated or 'muddy' colors.
                  Correct, thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian Winchester View Post
                    I saw the Cars short and it looked a fine release with amazing sound, but the reds reminded me of the somewhat muted look I recall from the Andec acetate prints from earlier years. On this particular release, I'd say the reds appear to have some orange, and thus you don't seem to see a really bright red or perhaps cherry/maroon.
                    That's just what I mean Adrian, yes.

Comment

Still dont know the reason why the German lab can't get well saturated prints like we got in the early 90's from Derann. I assume the new polyester (and previously Acetate) stock is not as good as what we had back then.

Graham S

Comment

OK, I will admit that I am not a person who knows "pop" when he sees it, except for color fade. I must say that the two new films I have seen and bought, Jurrasic and JAWS, both have very rich and life-like colors. I suppose that if past releases, such as Derann's releases of Technicolor classics, will have more vibrant colors, due to they're Technicolor origins.

Comment

Could it be because those new prints are sourced from blu ray discs? Contrast range from home video sources, with the exception of the new 4K UHD/HDR format, is rather limited when compared to photochemical sources.

Comment

I would say you are correct Alexander.

Comment

I don't think that would apply to Jurrasic, as it goes from full flat academy ratio, to a letterboxed image, mostly in the special effects scenes, (dinosaurs), as a Blu-ray wouldn't have those different aspect ratios, unless the original feature would have multiple aspect ratios, such as Brainstorm orDr Strangelove, when originally released.

Comment

Working...
                              X