GS1200 audio outputs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GS1200 audio outputs.

It's been many years since I had a GS1200 but have always used the 2 moni outputs on my trusty ST to get stereo sound. I know the output is headphone level and very low, but with an eq fitted and a hefty amp I've always achieved great sound.

Just wondering if anyone uses the 2 aux outputs on the GS (as opposed to the moni outputs on the back) and what level / quality of sound you get?

Is it line level?

I plugged into the Auxes of Doug Meltzer's GS Xenon at CineSea. They are line level and the quality and level were fine. The problem I ran into is they were not adjustable with the machine's volume controls and since my Amp sits up at the screen (maybe 40 feet away), we had no local volume adjustment.

I got plenty of mileage on my shoes that night...

If I was to do it again today, I'd use my mixer: problem solved.
    Last edited by Steve Klare; December 08, 2021, 10:29 AM.

Comment

If you don't have a mixer the alternative would be to come out of 2 pin din external speaker ports you would have volume knob control mono stereo control and it is safe to do it that way because like auxiliary output the external speaker output channels that I am referring to are also 600 ohms.

Steve Osborne sells the converter kits. As adapters that will easily convert from the European connection to standard RCA

Comment

I actually tried to build something like that and learned a little about my audio interface in the process. I built the interface with a ground loop eliminator (diff amp) as the first stage and I found that putting a variable resistance inline brought up all sorts of ground loop hum. The circuit as I built it only operates really well when there is nothing but the 600 Ohm series resistance (or total equivalent) like an Elmo aux.

-and so another failed project went into the parts bin! I should make this a museum: title it "Best laid plans...".

(Then again, If you are going directly into an Amp, this should work just fine.)

Comment

That answers my question, thanks chaps.

Comment

Morning Rob. Back in el day I used to feed the line outs on a GS into a separate mixer desk before the power amp used in a theater. It was a good way to adjust the stereo balance during a public show/film festivals and if we had a film maker who had used both tracks for voice and effects I could easily mix to mono.

Today at home I have a analogue to optical digital box fitted inside the GS with one optical cable to the power amp mainly to save wires and eliminate plug problems.

Comment

Working...
            X