Different apetures to film gates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different apetures to film gates?

Here is a question that I don't think that I have ever asked before, nor can I remember it being asked. I have always been slightly annoyed when I notice that a letterboxed image on super 8, isn't as letterboxed when projected. My question is, did assorted projectors have a variable film gate apeture, some allowing more of the super 8 frame on the screen, while other make and models allow less frame information based upon a smaller apeture to the film gate?
    Starts
    December 10, 2021
    Ends
    December 10, 2021

Osi, I seem to recall many years back on the old forum someone mentioned that Eumig machines would crop the image slightly compared with other machines. I have never noticed it myself or know if there was any truth in that observation.

Comment

I think I heard a different version of the same story: that Elmo machines have a wider aperture than most other brands' machines. I can't swear one way or the other, but I've noticed the Eumig picture is slightly more square than what my Elmo machines put up. Since my S8 sound machines are all either Elmo or Eumig, the two versions of the story are basically a draw here!

Depending on the alignment of the Elmo gate and claw, sometimes I see just a hint of sprocket hole edge or a thin, light vertical stripe on the opposite side on some prints depending on which Elmo I'm running.

Comment

And Beulieu made a 16:9 ratio gate. Handy for showing prints such as Gremlins or Predator closer to their 1:85:1 theatrical intention as those prints amongst others were "open gate" versions of the original print / negative.

Comment

Rob,

Was this gate changeable with another 4:3 gate?

Comment

Steve, here was our last discussion on this;

https://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-b...c;f=1;t=010950

Comment

I think from memory that it was interchangeable, but only on the last studio versions of the Beaulieu.

EDIT;

Here you go, a post relating to the interchangeable gate;

8mm Forum: Beaulieu 708 Stereo, Studio 16:9 models and diferences (film-tech.com)

Comment

Working...
              X