Help with Film Stock used Marketing Films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Film Stock used Marketing Films

I've no idea how to tell film stock used or brand. I have Airplane from Marketing Films International. Colour and sound are very good. None of this red shift.

This, I assume is from around 1982. It has no dates.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211211_185512.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	49182

Guide to Identifying Color Movie Film Stocks

This page is intended to be used by the collector of 16mm films to aid in the identification of the various kinds of film stock that one is likely to encounter.
    The link above is focused on 16mm, so sample pictures are all 16mm. Also has a nice section on optical sound tracks.

Comment

Marketing Films used various film stocks. The best are, of course, Agfa prints. My Marketing Films release of Star Wars is Agfa. The strange thing is that, as a general rule, the features tended to be on fairly quick Eastman or Kodak SP, but many, not all, of the 3x400ft digest versions, were on Agfa. I have the feature "Escape from Alkatraz", and fortunately, though printed on Kodak SP, has held it's color well.

Comment

I have noticed that Marketing used 3 stocks during their time of production: Eastman, Kodak SP and AGFA. Your print is AGFA AG1. This will fade too to purple. I have one and it is horrible now. Screen shot is somewhere in this forum.

Comment

When it comes to agfa, a lot depends on the storage. I'm, of course, not doubting Winbert, as we have all seen his terribly faded agfa, but I have personally never had an agfa print fade, and it had everything to do with storage, humidity levels ect. Agfa prints, being low fade, shouldn't need cold storage, being low fade.

Comment

Yesterday I screened my Marketing 3x400' of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Printed on Agfa 3S, the colors are still beautiful. The Final Countdown is on the same stock and it also looks great.

Comment

That's a lucky one to have. I haven't seen " The Final Countdown" offered in a longtime. At that shorter run time, I bet it feels more like a really cool Twilight Zone episode!

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas Meltzer View Post
                The Final Countdown is on the same stock and it also looks great.
                Hi Doug, is the Final Countdown in English version? I knew the German version ones but never known it is also available in English. This must be super rare.

Comment

Osi,

Yup! All that's missing is Rod Serling.

Winbert,

The film came in German language boxes but has an English soundtrack. It sounds to me like it was re-recorded at some point, so I think I'll redo this one.

Comment

Working...
                  X