Film Cement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Film Cement.

Can anyone tell me if fresh film cement is still available in the U.K. I have just about used the last of mine. I thought I had plenty but found that a bottle of "Premier" professional has all solidified! I am using tape splicers for 8mm, super 8, and 9.5mm but have not got one for 16mm, and have been using my Marguet Tri film splicer for 16mm. I know from the old forum that "Super glue" has been used instead but this does not sound such a good idea to me. Film cement welds the film and the joint retains its flexibility at the join. Ken Finch.

Ken, see my post from a few years ago here.

Kodak cement is still sold in the US, but one site I checked will not ship outside the US.

Comment

Ken, this company in the UK sells film cement bottles but at £ 16.99 : " THE THRILL OF REEL FILM" (theoldfilmcompany.com)

Comment

Yes, I highly reccomend that you stay away from super glue since it crystalizes over time and looses its bond rather quickly. Although some will claim they used it years ago and it still holds. That may be true, and even a bad cement splice will do the same, but wait a month or so after a super glue splice and give that splice a simple twist and it will fall apart just like a bad cement splice!

Comment

I'm one who uses Super Glue for all my Super 8 silent home movies. So far I've had no issues with the film splices separating. Some of those films date back to 2007, and holding. I wish there was a method for bonding films with low heat. But I guess that wouldn't work for acetate?

Comment

Thanks Dom, I did see that the "old Film Company" were selling it but thought, like you it was expensive. Happy Christmas and lets hope the travel restrictions will not be in place for long. It looks like our visit to Spain to vsit our family there for "Three Kings" may be cancelled. Things seem to change from day to day at the moment. Ken Finch.

Comment

It is regrettable that film cement has more or less disappeared from the market. I am not sure about some that is offered at the moment.
              However, if I was still using film cement I would go for Kodak, even if the price is high, plus post, and perhaps customs duty.
              Kodak Filmkitt Professional (10ml) – Van Eck Video Services (van-eck.net)

Comment

Kodak Film Cement is still being made. The major problems are, 1) It tends to be available in larger sizes (16 to 31 ounces) only, and 2) many retailers state that they will not ship it outside the US (highly flammable). Making you own remains an option. Formulas are available here.

Comment

In my cinema days we always bought Kodak Film Cement in pint tins. For ease of use, we decanted small amounts into a little bottle which had once had ink in it.

Comment

The Christys.net site offers small bottles. It looks like they fill the generic bottles from the pint size can.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cement.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	49754

Comment

I've made my own, and it works amazingly well.
                      You need a small nail polish bottle, with a small brush inside, cleaned out. Fill it two-thirds with acetone, add about 2 inches of 8mm film with the emulsion scraped off, shake and wait for it to dissolve. It will look cloudy but shouldn't be gooey.
                      Splices made with this will bond fast and be as strong as the commercial stuff.

Comment

Ken - have you tried Classic Home Cinema?

On his monthly film listing email Phil advertises Kodak film Cement at £8 for a 30cc bottle

Comment

Merry Christmas to you, too, Ken. I hope you will be able to travel safely.

Comment

Working...
                          X