Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you please help me identify this part?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you please help me identify this part?

Hi!
    My first post here in the comunity.

Someone gave me a Sankyo Dualux 1000 and I tested it and everything looked ok until I heard a noise and a small bang and some smoke started coming out of the unit.

The projector kept working but I turned it off and opened the electric compartment and found the culprit. it's an aluminium cylindrical component and I could find some solder and wax that I assume came out of it, and one of the wires came out too.

I couldn't take a proper picture because it is behind a lot of cables but I saw the component on a foto online of another sankyo Dualux 1000, you can see it attached.

Apparently the location of this component varies from unit to unit

Does anyone know what it is?

Thank you so much!

Sounding like a capacitor has gone bang

Comment

Its wierd the projector has a capacitor and is listed as an AC asynchronus motor, but it does look as if it has carbon brushes ?

How do the rubber wheels intead of the sprockets stand up on these ?

Best wishes Mark.

Comment

Hi Ricardo,

This is an old "noise supressor" system (2 capacitors with common ground in a same part), 250V / 0,05µf (or 50nf) for each value.

Try to find something like that (picture is for exemple , finding a less expensive one will be Ok as well) :

Your machine Main motor seems to be 220V AC with brushes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ANTI PARASITES.jpg Views:	0 Size:	37.7 KB ID:	49704
        If this capacitor system not available you can use 2 simple caps 250v / 50nf wired in a symetrical parallel configuration.
        As picture above, common is connected to ground.

On picture you posted , you can observe capacitor "schematic" on capacitor bracket installed on your machine. Capacitor "schematic" is also indicated on part , picture just above .

At the end result will be the same :
        Click image for larger version  Name:	CONDOS.JPG Views:	0 Size:	152.4 KB ID:	49705

However , to be safe , I suggest you to slightly oversize the voltage limit from 250V to 400V : So required parts should be 400V / 50nf (x2). (During winter domestic voltage fluctuations are common , you can observe 250V peaks often times).

Pay particular attention to proper joints insulation (using "heat-shrinkable" sleeves for exemple) , 220V can be dangerous in this area below cover.

Hope this will be helpfull.
        Last edited by Phil Murat; December 19, 2021, 01:06 AM.

Comment

That capacitor is just an AC line filter. But you can just remove it without replacing it and it will run just fine too but will generate some interference to a nearby AM radio or other audio equipment that is not well shielded...but today that is not very likely to happen.

Comment

Only know about this as some years ago I had one go bang mid show in my Pathe 9.5mm sound projector. Upon the bang the flash lit up the room but I never replaced it.
            Has to be said it would have been put in for a reason tho.

Comment

Thank you all so much for all the info! I think I'm just going to remove it and remove the wires.

Another question I have is:
              Should I change the voltage selector from 220 to 230 or 240 as I measured the voltage and it is 233-238?

Comment

By putting the selector to 240v, you will get a little bit less light but will improve significantly your bulb life. Most projectors went out the manufacture with the voltage selector set on a higher voltage than the domestic one (when 220v was the norm in Europe, projectors were set on 230 or 240v, nowadays 230 and 240v are the standard voltages).

Comment

Originally posted by Dominique De Bast View Post
                  By putting the selector to 240v, you will get a little bit less light but will improve significantly your bulb life. Most projectors went out the manufacture with the voltage selector set on a higher voltage than the domestic one (when 220v was the norm in Europe, projectors were set on 230 or 240v, nowadays 230 and 240v are the standard voltages).
                  thank you!

Comment

Working...
                  X