Elmo st 1200 - allow larger reels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elmo st 1200 - allow larger reels?

Hey there. Is there something I can do if I purchase a film and the reel fits on the projector but gets in the way of the bit that brings the film onto the reel? I have an Elmo st 1200hd. If not what’s the best course of action? The reel is 12” it’s big!

Scott
    The Elmo 1200" spool is a tad over 12" in diameter. In order to fit this spool on the rear spindle you need to do the following:-
    Push the green rear film guide in and push forwards to lock it. This will give the adequate spool clearance.
    See page 42 of the Instruction Book.
    ST1200HDOWNER.pdf (film-tech.com)

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail_IMG_3773.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.4 KB ID:	50030

Hey Scott,

An ST-1200HD is able to accommodate a 12" reel. The rear guide is hinged so it pushes in and tips forward as shown. (Sometimes it moves back without being asked, which is why mine has its end chewed up!)

The consequence of using it this way is there is no automatic cancellation of your auto-threading from the film tension after the film catches on the reel. You can use that button down on the left edge of the picture above.

I've heard that these are also supposed to cancel when you go to "forward-lamp", but that doesn't work on mine!

Comment

That green thing that Steve mentions is very easy to remove use a screwdriver to remove the white roller and it becomes loose very easily putting it back in might be a task but I always remove it and leave it out

The shaft comes out with the removal of the screw through the roller. Also carefully wiggle it to remove the assembly. A spring will come out as well. Then reinstall the shaft with the white roller attached.

My machines have always run brilliantly without the green extension guide. You will loose auto loading on reels that is when the leader is gripped by the flanges and wraps around the hub of the reel - but that's not a big deal either.

The reason to remove it for me was the larger reels would rotate and scrape against it causing interference with take up tension.
        Last edited by Chip Gelmini; December 23, 2021, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Ooohhhh thanks everyone this has made my day!

Comment

Originally posted by Chip Gelmini View Post
            ....My machines have always run brilliantly without the green extension guide. You will loose auto loading on reels that is when the leader is gripped by the flanges and wraps around the hub of the reel.....
            In my opinion it would be a shame to loose auto thread to a smaller spool designed to accept this way of loading. The green roller set is there to lead the film onto the spools smaller than the 1200ft.
            However, with the roller assembly shifted out of the way,the Elmo 1200" will fit, and auto load.

Comment

Thanks Maurice. I’m going to leave it on as is but just move it when using the larger reels. I’m so happy it can accommodate them!

Comment

Yes, Scott.
                I agree with your decision.

Comment

I know that the ELMO can take the 1200ft reels, as I have one myself, but I personally think it is wiser to stick with either lighter weight 1200ft, or, a smaller reel, as the ELMO is notorious for having a weak motor for the rewind that can wear out fairly easy, as I have this very problem, ( I just rewind my films on a separate unit). That's my personal concern.

Comment

Working...
                  X