Anyone have this Eumig projector?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have this Eumig projector?

So I decided to buy yet another projector, like I needed that! I purchased a Eumig Mark M Super 8 model from the mid-late 60's. These seem like a solid built machine with some good features. I like the fact it uses a manual focusing lens much like my Bolex machines. Does anyone have this machine and what can you tell me about it? I was wondering if anyone knows if the Eumig lens unscrews? It looks to be a two piece type lens. I was thinking if that's the case I might be able to use one of my Bolex primes. The rear base of the Eumig lens looks like it unscrews from the front section, but I won't know until the machine comes in. I am aware of the rubber disk in these needing cleaned and reconditioned so I'm prepared to take care of that. Any info is appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	film_57_Mark M super 8_1489755828802.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	50775

Name:	LS-xxxx-Eumig-Austrovar-14-15-25-foto2-994x800.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	50776

Could not tell you about the lens but I recently came in to possesion of the dual guage Mark 8, my second Eumig after a P8. It only ran at 2fps when I first got it, and the speed selector was unmovable. After cleaning and using rubber restorer on the discs it goes like a rocket now and I like it very much.
    I think it is a very handsome design, spoiled only by the power conector situated in that very prominant position. Good luck with your new purchase.

Comment

Hi Shane,
      Its the silent version of the mk s.
      I had a mk 8 once,thats the dual gauge version. Same issues with the rubber disc drive,so same fix.
      The lens is the 32.5 mm barrel,twist to focus,and slide the black collar back and forth to zoom.
      Nice machine,twin sprocket etc.Lamp is the 12v, 100 watt known as AI/215 in uk.Cheap too.
      Ive always liked these more than the later sprocket free models.

Comment

Thanks David and Martin! I assume these early models are gentle on film? The transport looks basic but solid!

Comment

Yes Shane, the cap at the rear unscrews and allows access to the back lenses. To gain access to the front lenses you must remove a small circular plastic lens retaining ring. That ring is just a sort of springy plastic type of thing that when squeezed together at the two slots allows it to be lifted out...kind of fiddly without a special too but can be done. It just snaps back into place on reassembly. But to get to all the glass you must unscrew the rear section counter clockwise and release the spring clip in the front of the barrel next to the glass. As you reassemble the back section make sure the zoom lever is seated in the section that has a groove or the zoom will not operate. It's all pretty easy though but make sure you put the glass lenses back into place with the correct sides facing in the same direction as you removed them.

Yes, I've also had that machine at one point in time. I rather liked it and thought it was well built and worked well.
          Last edited by Joseph Banfield; January 03, 2022, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph Banfield View Post
            Yes Shane, the cap at the rear unscrews and allows access to the back lenses. To gain access to the front lenses you must remove a small circular plastic lens retaining ring. That ring is just a sort of springy plastic type of thing that when squeezed together at the two slots allows it to be lifted out...kind of fiddly without a special too but can be done. It just snaps back into place on reassembly. But to get to all the glass you must unscrew the rear section counter clockwise and release the spring clip in the front of the barrel next to the glass. As you reassemble the back section make sure the zoom lever is seated in the section that has a groove or the zoom will not operate. It's all pretty easy though but make sure you put the glass lenses back into place with the correct sides facing in the same direction as you removed them.

Yes, I've also had that machine at one point in time. I rather liked it and thought it was well built and worked well.
            Thanks Joseph this answers my question. I was thinking that my Bolex prime lens might fit inside that rear section of the Eumig lens. The Eumig lens is 32.5mm and the Bolex is about 28mm. I will have to experiment.

Comment

Why not go for a sleeve,32.5 to 28mm. These are two standard sizes and should be fairly easy to find.
              I got one from CHC in the UK years ago. Reel Image may be able to help.

Comment

The projector came in yesterday. I am very impressed with it's build quality! I did the usual maintenance, that included reconditioning the rubber for the drive mechanism. It threads film perfectly, and seems to have a gentle film path. The Eumig 1.4 lens is sharp but I need more light to fill a standard projection screen. I'm thinking an upgrade to a 1.2 or 1.1 lens will give more light on screen. This early model uses the threaded style barrel that is very precise for focusing. Does anyone have a recommendation for a nice sharp lens that will give more light on screen? The size of this lens is 32.5 mm.

Comment

Does anyone have any opinions on this lens? The Eumig Euprolux 25mm f1 1:1. It seems to be a perfect fit for my Eumig. Put is it worth the upgrade?

Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg
Views:	260
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	50879

Comment

Shane,
                    the euprolux is good but at 25mm,gives a small picture unless you have a big room.
                    I use a xenvaron f1.1 that goes down to 11mm,so nice big picture. This can be got in the 32.5 mm size.
                    I would still consider an adapter sleeve,32.5 to 28,then you could use your bolex prime lenses.

Comment

Originally posted by David Roberts View Post
                      Shane,
                      the euprolux is good but at 25mm,gives a small picture unless you have a big room.
                      I use a xenvaron f1.1 that goes down to 11mm,so nice big picture. This can be got in the 32.5 mm size.
                      I would still consider an adapter sleeve,32.5 to 28,then you could use your bolex prime lenses.
                      Thanks David! Do you happen to have a photo you could share of the Xenvaron F 1.1 lens your using? I would assume this lens has the threaded barrel design? Seeing a photo would help me locate one easier online. As I stated earlier, I need a brighter lens so I can fill the screen better. I really like the projector but the Eumig 1.4 lens ain't cuttin it LOL.

Comment

So I found what I was looking for, I think! A well respected and ideal lens for my Eumig. The Eumig Suprovar 18-28mm f1 1:1. I contacted the seller who advertised the Eumig Euprolux 25mm f1 1:1, and he had this other one listed as well, so I went with that! I've been reading up on it here in the search archives. Many liked it while others said it was hard to focus at times. I figure with the more accurate manual focusing of the Mark M projector it shouldn't be much of an issue. Most of my prints are newer so no warpage. Well there you have it! Hopefully I made a good decision.

Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600 (3).jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.6 KB ID:	50900

Comment

I have this lens. It's much brighter than the 1.4 one but the size of the picture on the screen is small in standard/regular 8. In super 8, you should have a larger size but you still will need a good distance between the projector and the screen.

Comment

The Suprovar had very good reveiws when it came out,about 1968, I think. At that time,it cost nearly as much as the projector it was made for.
                            It should work well,except at 18mm,not a very big picture,unless you have a large room.

Comment

Would you say a normal size living room would work with this lens? I'm only viewing movies on a standard size portable Da-Lite screen. The farthest I can set projector from screen is about 12 ft.
                              Last edited by Shane C. Collins; January 05, 2022, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X