Noisy Eumig S938

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy Eumig S938

Let me start by saying that my Eumig S938 Stereo is functioning perfectly in all respects. except the operating noise level has become noticeably louder during the past few months, to the point where it is almost objectionable. It seems to be associated with the intermittent mechanism but I cannot identify the source. I have tried lubricating the cam with no change in noise level. I have also looked at the big plastic worm gear and it does not look cracked.
    Ideas anyone?

Run it and watch the small drive belt on the front side. They stretch and make a hell of a noise

Watch the brown rollers

Comment

Hello Paul,

I understand the claw system is suspected.
      Is there a big noise difference between "with" and "without" a film loaded ?
      If yes, try to estimate the force necessary to the claw to pull down the film. If pull down force is excessive (assuming excessive friction, you can compare with an other projector) , pay particular attention to gate lane condition , gate shoes, for abnormal wears. if some cuts appears on lateral shoes, it could be possible to smooth them by polishing. Anyway, it is good that guiding parts have a perfect surface finish .
      Assuming picture is stable , so no need to check claw swivel

Let us know

Comment

This may be a Longshot, but on my 926 stereo, that fan and the metal rod that rests against the hub of the fan, somehow, was becoming less secure, shall we say. I would press down or lift up on it a little and noted that the buzzing either increased or decreased. So I adjusted that and I was soon back to purring like a kitten!

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, but nothing helped. It is far noisier now than my similar design S926GL. The noise is definately from the intermittent claw/cam area, and yes Phil it is louder when actually projecting film. Comparing the 938 cam to the 926 cam it looks like they are different designs with the 926 being all metal and the 938 being plastic. Do these 938 cams have any history of problems?

Comment

Hi Paul, John White over here who services Eumigs always fits new claw arms as a matter of course when he services 936/8 and the 940. There's usually wear on the follower.

I have some Eumigs that are noisier than others but if yours has become noisier that may well be the cause.

Comment

Ah , Ok Paul, I see much better.

In case cam is steel material , there is probably one or 2 nylon insert(s) to insure interface betwwen cam and claw arm. If nylon insert is worn out , machine can become noisy.

I assume the space available to check condition of the nylon insert(s) is very narrow. If you can get a small flexible camera , I assume it is possible to inspect this area.

Let us know.

Phil

Comment

The puzzling thing is, that despite the loud cam noise, the picture is still rock steady.

Comment

Working...
                X