Standard 8 polyester/acetate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard 8 polyester/acetate

I shot a couple of color rolls three years ago, and when I went to edit them this week I was surprised to find they were polyester base, so can't use cement splices.

I don't recall the make of film; it was some 25 foot double-8 roll. Does anyone know which films available in 2022 are polyester, and which (if any) are acetate? I'd rather not do tape splices if I can avoid it.

Thanks.

I've never used polyester based film only acetate. I also don't like using press tapes when making splices, nor do I like conventional film cement. So what do I use? Good ole Super Glue. I've been doing this for about 15 years. Super Glue is very strong, and will bond to film with no problems. I can also report films I spliced this way 15 years ago are still holding. I use a conventional film splicer. After making the cuts, and scraping off the emulsion, I use a toothpick to apply the Super Glue. The toothpick allows you to get most of the Super Glue on the film, and creates less mess. I let the two ends of film bond for a few minutes, works every time!

Comment

I've always found it strange that Superglue was originally known as Kodak 910 and invented by a Kodak employee
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Coover.
      Splice Kodak Estar base film with a Kodak originated glue!

Comment

I'll try super gluing some polyester and report back.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Mork View Post
          I'll try super gluing some polyester and report back.
          Make sure you work quickly after you spread the Super Glue on the film. Coat the film lightly from end to end, but don't go overboard. This is where a toothpick will help as I mentioned earlier. Usually when I'm done letting the glue set-up, I'll check the film. I check the splice by flipping the film a few times to make sure it's secure.

Comment

Tried it. Didn't work. Whatever bonding ability super glue has, it can't hold polyester. After setting for 5 minutes, it split right apart with no effort.

Comment

Looking online. The available brands seem to be Fomapan (B&W only), FPP Cine 8, with several B&W and one color reversal type, there's also Kahl which makes a color reversal "not designed for projection, scanning only", whatever that means. None of those specify base material.

Of course lots of people sell old expired film, but I can't see why anyone would want it except maybe to test their camera.

If you can suggest other standard-8 resources, I'm open to hearing about them, and my original question still stands as far as what films made today are acetate, which are polyester - I might be stuck with Presstapes unless there's a cheap ultrasonic splicer out there - didn't think so.

Comment

That's a bummer the Super Glue did not work with the polyester film. I'm actually surprised to hear that really. I would have thought Super Glue would be strong enough. But it may be the smooth surface of the polyester film. With acetate you have to scrape the emulsion off, which gives a good roughed surface for Super Glue.
                The Kahl film you mentioned must be a negative stock. All reversal films can be projected. The Regular 8mm color reversal that FPP sells, for example, can be projected. In fact all modern black n white, and color reversals are able to be projected. All of those filmstocks are acetate. I'm not sure if Kodak sells polyester based film? I only use reversal and those are acetate. Someone else might be able to chime in with a answer. If not head over to the Super 8 forum community on Facebook. There are more film shooters over there than here.
                This is the link to that page.....https://www.facebook.com/groups/27648968851
                And here's a link also to the Regular 8 forum on Facebook.....https://www.facebook.com/groups/1548511992141836

Comment

Nope, like I said the color reversal I shot was not acetate. But these days you are stuck with what you can get.

As far as any film being "not for projection", I don't believe it. Anything you can run through a camera you can project, and the Kahl film is reversal. I think they just said that because they want you to pay for their process plus scan package. I don't scan 8mm, I run it.

Comment

I guess I'll order some film from FPP and see what I get. Someday I'll start my own film production line.

Comment

I guess I'll order some film from FPP and see what I get. Someday I'll start my own film production line.
                      Yes FPP has a nice selection of black and white and color reversal. I have a roll of Ektachrome Regular 8 (7294) that I have yet to shoot in my Bolex P2. I shoot mainly Super 8 color reversal as it's cheaper, and easier to use. Like you I project only. It amazes me how many people shoot film but never project. That's the beauty of film seeing it on the big screen.

Comment

Who sells Ektachrome regular 8? Have not seen it.

Comment

Who sells Ektachrome regular 8? Have not seen it.
                          The Film Photography Project sells it. Here's a link. It's not cheap but nice to see it in regular 8.

​​​​​​https://filmphotographystore.com/pro...31987034521671

Comment

Ah, I see. Kind of pricey. I just ordered three of their B&W rolls for the same price. Yes, I'd like to shoot in color but geez...

Comment

PET (polyester) based 2x8mm color reversal film (E6)
                              available approx. 2012 - 2018/2019
                              https://www.wittnercinetec.com/5101

Some insight into current FPP perforation work
                              https://youtu.be/EI7SklrSlNU

Comment

Working...
                              X