Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Wars Super 8 Question

Greetings All!

I hope everyone is having a most excellent Friday!

I was just generally curious about how rare the Derann Stereo Scope release of Star Wars is to find? I imagine most tend to keep them once they own it.

Do many of the users here have a copy in their collection now?

Anyways, it's on my eventual list of films I would enjoy owning some day, but wanted to hear collectors thoughts about the release.

Wishing you all the best,

Lincoln

Lovely post Lincoln.

My own thoughts. I so enjoyed my own print or prints of SW having owned a few over the years. Things have moved forward somewhat as new modern prints are about and so unless you are zeotroped by the name Derann look a little further to 21st century prints oft for much less money.

A new replacement is now on my saving for list and having seen the beautiful quality of a recently purchased new feature i look forward to it very much indeed.

May the S8 force be with you.

BTW A new print was screened at Blackpool and although I missed it needing to get back to work I'm told it was fantastic.
    Next time I'm booking the weekend off!

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Lee! I was interested because it seems like some prints can develop a mystique about them and that release seems to be one of them. Was curious of how superior the quality might be compared to newer prints you can find out in the wild this days.

It's always interesting (to me at least) to learn about the history of film prints!

Comment

Lee are there new prints available of Episode 4 new hope? as I thought only Empire was available new.

Graham S

Comment

I happen to own two different scope editions, the Derann scope 1982 re-release of Star Wars and my personal favorite, for nolstalgia's sake, the original 1977 version of Star Wars, this one being a Cineavision scope print. I like that one as it is exactly as I remember the film in 1977. The 1982 Derann print is slightly sharper and better color saturation, though. I honestly can't tell you if anyone is making new prints, but unless they would use a digital source, Blu-ray for instance, for the print, it really wouldn't be worth getting new prints made, as, of all super 8 scope features, this one seems to be the most prominent. It is just about the only print these days that brings in far more than it originally sold for, mostly due to the fact that some people who buy it, don't even own a projector, they just want a celluloid memento of Star Wars. These days, it is getting fairly rare to see one going for less than a thousand, which has surprised me, as I would have thought that with all the prints out there, prices would go down.

Comment

Working...
          X