Armchair Odeons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armchair Odeons

Well a cold and wet day here in Orlando inspired me to take another look at some of Keith Wilton's Filmtek Armchair Odeons VHS tapes, going back now almost 30 years.
    First off I was delighted to find that all the ones I had still played perfectly on my Sony VHS player - zero drop outs or mis-tracking, so it seems that magnetic video tape can last just as well, or even better than DVD optical discs, many of which in my collection have locked up due to disc rot.
    The Armchair Odeon series are expertly produced by Keith and his Filmtek crew, and its an inspiration to watch what some film collectors have done themselves to create their own home cinema. Full of technical ideas and innovations with great cameos by some of the UK's theater organists, it will encourage even jaded collectors to have a go at improving their own screening room.
    If you have not seen this series, you owe it to yourself to get them, now available on disc.

The heading reminds me of my initial entry on the old forum on 19 April 2017 about Denis Gifford's book "The Armchair Odeon" published in 1974 and then priced at £1.95.

I bought my copy for £1.00 at Geoff Wheeler's Tadley Convention many years ago. I still often refer to it. Prices have now escalated. It is an interesting reference book.

8mm Forum: The Armchair Odeon (film-tech.com)

Comment

Hi Paul...

The Armchair Odeon series were very interesting. I originally bought the VHS tapes, but later through Derann got the DVD versions which also had a update on those home cinemas. The sad part of the update, was almost all of the original home cinemas shown, had got rid of there film equipment, and had gone completely over to Video projection. I would imagine that even since those updates were taken a few years back, that even less folk are using film in there home cinemas these days.

Myself I like "all formats" .

Just some of the DVDs I bought through Derann.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	P1220773.JPG Views:	0 Size:	102.2 KB ID:	52394
      Click image for larger version  Name:	P1220771.JPG Views:	0 Size:	129.5 KB ID:	52395

Comment

I believe, also, that for some Keith had trouble with the original camera tapes (Digital 8 or Hi 8?) when it came to remastering and in some cases extending for the Special Editions. I'm sure it was all in his contributions to Films for the Collector magazine.

Comment

Graham, I love all formats as well, and enjoy all aspects of film projection tremendously, But, to be totally honest, 90% of the screenings in my home cinema, are digital. That's just the way it is if you want to experience new films. And that's not to diminish film projection in any way, which is an amazing hobby,

Comment

Brian

There is some video in one of those DVDs showing Keith joking about the "remastering" by using simply his finger to put more pressure on the original video tape against the video head, thus improving the picture quality .

PS....and it worked

Comment

Working...
            X