Eumig Motor Mounts Replaced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eumig Motor Mounts Replaced

The new motor mounts from Van Eck arrived in the mail yesterday for my Eumig Mark M Super 8 projector. The disassembly, and installation was pretty straight forward. While I had the motor out I cleaned the rubber disc with some rubber renew. Having the motor out made it easier to clean these disc. Once I removed the motor I took out the old motor mounts. The mounts were so badly deteriorated they crumbled as I took them out. I'm including some photos of those mounts, and the new mounts installed. The hardest part was reinstalling the ball that controls the speed. It took a few tries until I was able to line things up. I am very happy with Van Eck's replacement. His version fit perfectly, and included brass inserts. While I was in there I also oiled the motor bearings at either end of the shaft. As well as a good scrub of the chrome ball that rides on the rubber disc. She's purring quite well now! Thanks to Joseph, and everyone else that helped me out in my previous thread here.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20220123_022130668.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.9 KB ID:	52339

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20220123_022126116.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.8 KB ID:	52340

Click image for larger version  Name:	original_d1e58621-0490-4345-8b16-5431910e589a_PXL_20220123_033256155.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.6 KB ID:	52341

Click image for larger version  Name:	original_71b3b1d5-cafd-42f1-9db8-e99fd1878a6c_PXL_20220106_184947974 (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	103.3 KB ID:	52342

Well done Shane! That projector should be good for decades now,

Comment

Bravo Shane! Job well done and glad I could be some help to you!

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph Banfield View Post
        Bravo Shane! Job well done and glad I could be some help to you!
        Thank you Joseph! Your instructions, and willingness to answer my questions, made this job a lot easier. Really the slight hardest part was lining up the ball with the speed control. Other than that everything else was straight forward.
        Doing this work has given me a greater appreciation of how well engineered these machines are.
        Also as a side note: The Eumig 1.0 zoom lens I had ordered came in the mail last night. It works well, and looked good on screen. But, the front section of the lens is so wide the supply reel arm will not fold back into it's closed position. Because of that I am sticking with the stock Eumig 1.4 lens. Really the 2 lenses are pretty comparable with regards to sharpness and contrast. The Eumig 1.0 was slightly brighter but not enough to warrant keeping it on the machine. It's too fiddly to have to keep removing it every time you close the projector's arm and cover.

Comment

Glad that repair went well Shane. My mounts do need replacing though I've got a year or two as they're not as bad as yours were.

Comment

Awesome job Shane! I love seeing these wonderful old projectors running in tip top condition again. They deserve all the TLC they can get.

Comment

Thanks guys! The only slight issue I am having, and it doesn't effect the operation or speed. After the projector has run a 7" reel about half way it starts to create this somewhat loud rubbing noise. Today I was able to replicate the noise, and have found it's coming from the take-up reel spindle arm area. If I put some pressure on the take-up reel I can hear it, and feel it coming from the spindles arm. Does anyone know what could be causing such a noise? Is there maybe a lack of lubrication inside the take-up arm, or maybe dried grease? Again it doesn't seem to be causing any performance or speed issues. I'm wondering if there's a way to lubricate inside the arm itself. The little black hole in the rear of the spindle can this be lubed?

Click image for larger version

Name:	film_57_Mark M super 8_1489755825675.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	52359
              Last edited by Shane C. Collins; January 23, 2022, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Shane, is the takeup reel applying to much pressure? There is an adjustable screw on the inside of the machine on the take-up reel where it pivots to increase or decrease tension. A warped take-up reel perhaps? Did you try another to be sure? I recall that on the early 700 sound machines there was a tendency of a squealing type of noise that would disappear completely if you held the take-up reel while projectiong a film. The solution to that problem was to regrease the gear and worm that drives the rear sprocket. But the rubbing noise is not familiar. Perhaps throw a video up on Youtube and post a link back here so we can all have a look.

Glad to hear you like the Eumig Austrovar 1,4/15-25 zoom lens as much as I do. That lens really projects a nice white light, in fact much like the Euprolux 1:1/25 non-zoom lens but slightly less bright naturally. It is the Euprovar 1,3/13-25 that I feel always adds a slight sepia tone (I have four of them) to the projected image, which actually makes it look less bright than the 1,4 in my opinion. So, if you've got a distance of 20 feet or so between projector and screen and don't need zoom then the Euprolux 1:1 prime lens might be just what you need...and you can fold down the front supply reel too!
                Last edited by Joseph Banfield; January 23, 2022, 02:09 PM.

Comment

I like the grey paint. Nice touch

I also like the bushings - very neat job. Success on a plate

Comment

Shane, is the takeup reel applying to much pressure? There is an adjustable screw on the inside of the machine on the take-up reel where it pivots to increase or decrease tension. A warped take-up reel perhaps? Did you try another to be sure? I recall that on the early 700 sound machines there was a tendency of a squealing type of noise that would disappear completely if you held the take-up reel while projectiong a film. The solution to that problem was to regrease the gear and worm that drives the rear sprocket. But the rubbing noise is not familiar. Perhaps throw a video up on Youtube and post a link back here so we can all have a look.

Glad to hear you like the Eumig Austrovar 1,4/15-25 zoom lens as much as I do. That lens really projects a nice white light, in fact much like the Euprolux 1:1/25 non-zoom lens but slightly less bright naturally. It is the Euprovar 1,3/13-25 that I feel always adds a slight sepia tone (I have four of them) to the projected image, which actually makes it look less bright than the 1,4 in my opinion. So, if you've got a distance of 20 feet or so between projector and screen and don't need zoom then the Euprolux 1:1 prime lens might be just what you need...and you can fold down the front supply reel too!
                    Joseph the reel I am using is straight as an arrow. It might just be too much pressure. It appears when there's more film on the take-up reel. It only does so in the forward motion. In reverse no noise. Here's a photo from Van Eck's website. Maybe you could point out where the adjusting screw is? The Mark M of course has no rear sprocket like the later machines. The sound is coming from that area under load. I actually did record the sound for like 9 seconds as I put pressure on the reel. Here's a quick video. You'll have to turn the volume up to hear it. Not as loud as when there's film. Note: The slipping reel is from my hand putting pressure on the reel.
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhxwO3P4kOQ

Click image for larger version  Name:	film_57_Mark M super 8_1489755827914.jpg Views:	0 Size:	101.7 KB ID:	52371
                    Last edited by Shane C. Collins; January 23, 2022, 02:50 PM.

Comment

I would assume the brass fitting on the end of the take-up spindle assembly is the adjustment? Would I turn this counter-clockwise to decrease pressure?

Comment

The adjusting screw is the brass thing in the upper right hand corner of the photo. It also has gray lacquer on it. Turning it counter clockwise lessens the pressure, while turning clockwise increases it. You may want to unscew it completely and check that the felt pad is not gummy with something someone else may have applied for some reason. By looking closely at the gray lacquer it looks like someone has already turned that brass nut at least once already.

Comment

The adjusting screw is the brass thing in the upper right hand corner of the photo. It also has gray lacquer on it. Turning it counter clockwise lessens the pressure, while turning clockwise increases it. You may want to unscew it completely and check that the felt pad is not gummy with something someone else may have applied for some reason. By looking closely at the gray lacquer it looks like someone has already turned that brass nut at least once already.
                          That photo is a stock photo from Van Eck's website. I was actually responding about this brass piece as you were sending a reply. I think I'll try this first. I will adjust with some film running and see if the noise decreases.

Comment

Hi Shane

I don't know if this is of help, but its adjustments I did in the 800 series to get the speed right. In fact its close to how they set things up in the factory on that series of projectors.

The idea is to lock the motor drive bang on in the center, what I used was feeler gauges the ones used on a car. With the motor drive locked in the exact center I adjusted the two little levers so that they were just touching equally, as in the photo with the projector knob removed, but the cam sitting in the center. My idea is that mechanical wear behind the switch causes the motor to sit of center. All I am doing is adjusting it, so while the switch is in the Off position the motor is exactly sitting in the center between the discs.

I have done those adjustment to three Eumig 800 series and instead of the drive being sluggish it now going like a little rocket

As I say I don't know if this is of any help for your model, but it might be food for thought .

Name:	P1040250.JPG
Views:	297
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	52379

Name:	P1040242.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	52380

Comment

Shane, you do not want to be too aggressive on the take up torque adjustment. Load up a 600ft reel and adjust the knob so that the take up reel is just gently winding up the film when the take up reel is full, that is when the supply spool is almost empty and the film is coming to an end.

Comment

Working...
                              X