This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two or one pin claw?

I had a conversation with a member on this forum who swears that many projectors other than the common Eumig 500 and 600 series dual 8 machines had a two pin claw instead of only a one pin claw. But as most of us know that Eumig series had a specialized two pin claw where the pins are seperated by a couple of inches to make this possible, not to mention a radical redesign of the pulldown movement that made it all work.

I always understood this was not possible as the pitch of the sprocket holes would be different between the two guages, which is why a single pin claw had to be used on dual 8 machines.

Am I going nuts or what? Were there machines that had two pin claws that could project both guages?
    Last edited by Joseph Banfield; January 28, 2022, 02:17 PM.

Joseph, I am with you on this, there is no way that a closely spaced 2-pin claw can be used on a dual gauge machine.

Comment

Before embarking on my projector collection, I had only ever used one projector. A Ricoh Auto 8P Dualmatic Standard 8/Super 8. It has 3 claws. The mechanism to change from one gauge to another, I think, simply moves a plate with two frame masks. Super 8 and Standard 8.

This pic is of Super 8 film pressed against the claw. The centre claw is slightly elongated compared to the outer two.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Super.jpg Views:	0 Size:	152.7 KB ID:	52772

And for good measure, Standard 8.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Standard.jpg Views:	0 Size:	116.3 KB ID:	52773

I can't tell if all claws are in contact with each gauge of film in pull down but all go through the perfs. Looks like two out of three, which ain't bad (feel like a song coming on!).

I really should find out more. Video the claws in action.

Comment

The Honeywell Elmo FP8-C and Honeywell 380 have 2 pins. Here are some pics to prove it, of the 380.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image0.jpeg Views:	49 Size:	60.2 KB ID:	52804 Click image for larger version  Name:	image3.jpeg Views:	46 Size:	58.4 KB ID:	52805 Click image for larger version  Name:	image1.jpeg Views:	46 Size:	73.4 KB ID:	52806 Click image for larger version  Name:	image2.jpeg Views:	46 Size:	67.7 KB ID:	52807 Click image for larger version  Name:	image4.jpeg Views:	48 Size:	55.5 KB ID:	52808 Click image for larger version  Name:	image5.jpeg Views:	47 Size:	66.4 KB ID:	52809 Click image for larger version  Name:	image6.jpeg Views:	47 Size:	52.0 KB ID:	52810

Comment

Working...
        X