• Show
Clear All

• January 2022 update for Super 8 database

This update at a glance:

* We have a new member in the team!
    * You will now get search tips on the front page
    * More films and covers added
    * Maintenance work on the software
    * Our second anniversary in February – expect big news!

First off; we have a new member in the team. Martin Dew has now joined the small Super 8 database team of me (Eivind) and Greg. Martin has started things off by improving several descriptions to the films in the database, making them so much better. He is a freelance journalist writing about residential AV and Pro Cinema Technology, and his skills in writing is most welcome in this project! His background in the film industry (director at THX International and a credited actor in several big movies) is certainly also a big plus. Welcome to the team, Martin!

Looking at logs, I have noticed that most people write a full movie name when they search. The search engine is quite powerful, and to let the users know about these, we have included search tips on the front page.

Click image for larger version

Name:	search_tip.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	52848

If you click on Learn more, you will get a further explanation:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	search_tip_expanded.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	52849
    Finally you can click on Try this example to see the example in action. You will get a random search tip each time you get to the front page.

Although we have had a bit quieter period on adding films and covers lately due to other types of work, several new films and covers have been added. We have now reached 7603 films and 2478 films with a cover. This is a project for years to come, but we have had a steady progress now since we launched almost two years ago.

Even if it has been a bit quiet from us lately, there has, as said, been a lot for work done in the background. Lately I have performed several important software framework updates. These are important, both to maintain the security, but also to keep the platform alive for the future. With old versions of underlying technology it will become increasingly hard to maintain. These updates have required many days of work, and although they will not be noticed by anyone else than me that writes the code, they are important for the future of the project.

Our second anniversary will be in February. We look forward to that, and there will be some big news to be shared when that time comes. Stay tuned for our next update!

Eivind,

Thank you for the update. It appears a great site is becoming even better!

Comment

Thanks Doug!

Comment

Great development Eivind and team.

If you were ever able to develop user registration then people could effectively use your database to catalogue and grade their personal collections.
        Moving that on a stage registered users could then perhaps list wanted/for sale films for on Super 8 database making it THE place to buy and sell Super 8

Keep up the good work.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, Rik! I have thought about similar things myself, but have landed on keeping user data out of this for now. GDPR (the European privacy laws) has a big set of challenges to deal with. I deal with this at work, so maybe I am scarred :-) And including sales would quickly include people disagreeing with moderator duties and all that. I totally agree it would be a neat idea, but I don't think we will move there for now. Maybe in the future, though.

Comment

Definitely not one for the short term goals Eivind but it would be awesome if you could ever pull it off.
            On the sales side I wasn't thinking of a forum based platform like this, but something more along the lines of Discogs for film just listings with descriptions and prices. One for the long long term methinks

Comment

This is a great job Eivind you did with your friends, highly valuable.

I have from my side a catalog from LGFC (Les Grands Films Classiques, former French Company in Paris) . As soon as I can , I will share with you a list of films they marketed in 80's era, more particularly Classic French movies , if you are interested in and also to update the database, up to you.

Comment

Yes, Rik, something similar to Discogs would be a more probable solution some time. I will keep it in mind!

And thanks for the kind words, Phil. Yes, that catalog would be most appreciated! We don't have many French films so far, and would love to do something about it. I will send you a PM.

Comment

Cool! Great job at super8database.com,
                  May the force be with you

Comment

Working...
                  X