Any difference between eumig mark M & mark 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any difference between eumig mark M & mark 8

Does anyone know if there is a difference between these two projectors as they look almost identical ?

I don't know. But some names are region specific to do with power. 110V, 240V etc...

I suspect the lamp may be different. The later model having possibly Halogen. I also think, not sure, one is 8mm only the other having models covering both Standard and Super 8.

Those are the type of differences I'd look at.

Also, some models may be department store specific. I don't know that for sure either but Olympus cameras made a model specifically for a department store and that model wasn't then warranted by Olympus but the store (via an arrangement I guess).

Those are what I'd look for and off the top of my head, pause function. Possibly linked to lamp source.

Oh! Then there's the DL!

Actually, the take up spindle on later models seem to be Super 8 fixed and I guess the spool too. On early models prior to Super 8, they were Standard 8.

So the M, 8 and DL!

Comment

It looks like the Eumig Mark M is a dedicated super 8 only machine, while the Mark 8 is a dual guage projector. It seems they also share the same owners manual too.

Comment

Joseph is correct about the differences between the two machines. Also there are two versions of the Mark M. There is the Mark M which is the regular 8 version. Then there's the Super 8 version. That will say "Eumig Mark M Super 8" on the cover and the logo on the lamp housing. I found out the hard way when ordering a copy of the owner's manual. What I thought was the Super 8 version manual for my Eumig, was actually for the regular 8 version. The manual only said Mark M. As I began reading the manual I kept looking at the little pictures showing the projector. It wasn't until I looked again at the cover of the owner's manual where it simply read, "Eumig Mark M" duh LOL.
        Last edited by Shane C. Collins; January 31, 2022, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Over on the filmkorn specifications page both are down as duel gauge. Also according to them one accepts up to 600ft reels and the other 400ft.

Comment

Just searched out a leaflet. Don't know the actual date but think 1969 is close.

The following are all from this leaflet, probably supplied with a sale or box contents.

First is the P8D

Click image for larger version

Name:	P8D.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	53045

That's just for reference to what was available.

Next, the Mark 8 Dual- Gauge and a sub section of the DL. Basically a Mark 8 with new light and Pause removed!

Name:	Mark 8 DL.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	53046

On a page to it's self, the Mark M for Super 8.

Name:	Mark M.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	53047

And finally, the 709/701.

Name:	709.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	53048

But I do think the Eumig Mark S 701 was introduced prior to the 709. So Standard 8 only 701.

Also the Eumig Mark M was introduced as the Eumig Mark M, Standard 8 only. Ebay sellers do advertise Eumig Mark M as Super 8 when they're not. It's probably because of the Eumig Mark M Super 8. So "Eumig Mark M" and "Eumig Mark M Super 8". Look at take up spool spindle size.

None of the picture show the plastic face cover of these early projectors and there is a price for protective soft cover. Seems cost cutting was on it's way as the 700's didn't have plastic face covers.

Funny what's hanging around. I can PDF the leaflet but only B&W.
            Attached Files

Comment

Stuart thanks for sharing this brochure. First time I've seen one in English. I would be interested in a PDF copy.

Comment

Yes interesting, the filmkorn page is obviously incorrect then. Also all the DL models I've seen have had a 1.1 25mm, I've never seen a eumig 1.0 25mm mentioned on that brochure, only the 1.0 zoom.

Comment

I think Shane and Stuart are rapidly becoming big Eumig fan's !

Comment

Jason, the DL machine I had was also equiped with the 1,1/25mm prime lens.

I'm happy too that both Shane and Stuart are becoming Eumig fans. It's always great to have others join the Eumig club...I've always been a fan myself. There's just something special about those machines, despite their drive disc problems!

Comment

Joseph, and Paul I have joined the Eumig Club for sure LOL! I can't believe how well made my Eumig Mark M Super 8 machine is! I also admire the looks of these early machines! Are there any club dues? LOL

Comment

Thought I'd try this. Print photo to pdf of leaflet and attach to post. If it doesn't take just PM your email and I'll pop it over to you. My scanner is black and white! Thought a photo may be better.

Eumigs are growing on me

Think it took

Forgot to mention, leaflet may be from around 1969
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Stuart Budd; January 31, 2022, 03:16 PM. Reason: Checking attachments and update. Great Forum Feature Douglas :)

Comment

That worked Stuart! I was able to download these files to my Google Drive. When you zoom in everything looks clear. Where did you ever come across this brochure?

Comment

Well,I didnt know there was a mk m standard 8 model. The mk DL was a higher light output version of the mk 8. DL standing for Dual Lumens. Its f1.1 lens was rather long at 25mm,so a small picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Moffatt View Post
                              Yes interesting, the filmkorn page is obviously incorrect then. Also all the DL models I've seen have had a 1.1 25mm, I've never seen a eumig 1.0 25mm mentioned on that brochure, only the 1.0 zoom.
                              Jason, I recently purchased the Eumig Suprovar 1.0 18-28 mm lens designed for the DL. It fit my Eumig Mark M Super 8 projector, and looked really nice on screen. However, the supply reel arm will not close when this lens is in place. The lens is very large, and the diameter of the front makes it impossible to use while also needing to put the front cover on. So I decided to put the Eumig Austrovar 1.4 zoom back in. To be honest, while the Suprovar looked excellent on screen, and bright, it's pretty close sharpness wise to the stock lens. For that reason I don't see myself using it, unless I needed to project a super large image which I probably won't be doing. The Suprovar is made of all metal and is also quite heavy. Here's some photos of my lens.
                              Also I find it surprising this lens was used in the DL as that model looks similar in design to my Mark M Super. Even the supply arm looks the same.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20220131_211203521.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.9 KB ID:	53119
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20220131_211145006.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.2 KB ID:	53120

Comment

Working...
                              X