Changing the audio tracks on a film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing the audio tracks on a film

Hi all I have a copy of 2001 in Italian and I don’t know Italian sadly. I’d love to get it back to the original audio, how and where do I do that and what might the cost be?

best

scott

Forum member Lance Alspaugh in Ca. provides this service. Also Adam Deierling in Ohio, or at least he did(?) You’ll have to contact them for costs.

Comment

If you have your own sound projector, with record capabilities, you can do the rerecord yourself. You just need a copy of the soundtrack, best to actually use a DVD or Blu-ray, as you can keep track as to how well you're keeping in sync, but that is the trick. Actually, "2001" is actually a pretty easy rerecord, as there are large swathes of no dialogue. If you use a DVD, please keep in mind that, as a general rule, DVD's actually run at 25 fps, where film classically runs at 24 fps.

Comment

Oh wonderful. I technically could record the sound myself but with this one I might leave it to a pro and do some test ones with some 50ft home movies first (actually how do I add the mag to do that). Anyhow let me reach out to Lance.

thanks so much. Best forum ever. I’ve just got into super 8 and had so much help here and from Steve Osborne who helped me fix my projector sound issues after calling me and emailing me advice.

Comment

Steve Osbourne is one of the great ones, to be sure. If you need mag tracks placed on a mute print, there is a firm in Italy, Cine Magnetics, that can mag stripe your film prints.

Comment

I believe only PAL Dvd's run at 25fps. NTSC dvds run at 23.97 FPS.

Comment

Just because some parts of 2001 have no dialogue doesn’t make it acceptable to re-record them out of sync, at least in my opinion. The music, sound effects, and volume levels of this film are specifically synched to each scene, regardless of whether or not there’s any dialogue.

Comment

I suppose it depends how much out of sync he meant. I can detect dialogue/spot effects at 2+ frames out (especially if in advance) but to me music that close would be OK.

Comment

Must agree with Joe. In snyc means the sound being exactly in the correct place and anything else that is not, is a fail. When I worked in animation many years ago, everything was always bang on because it would show if it wasn't. Some times the (animated) action may be timed to happen one or two frames ahead of the picture as it had a greater impact. Great care is taken by the people who worked on movies, then and now and a track even 1 frame out is a slap in the face of the creators.

Comment

At any rate, by having a video screen and projector running side by side, it becomes obvious if you are in sync or not and, as our own Paul Adsett suggested, you can adjust the speed of the projector, just in case the sync gets ever so slightly off, which isn't a variable with the source material, but is with the projector.

Comment

Working...
                    X