Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super8 conservation advise

Hi everyone,

I writing a post in order to have an advise regarding the conservation of Super8 film in clamshell boxes.

Since i start collecting film I bought a lot of German super8 movie and as you know most of them are in clamshell boxe which can accelerate the VS. For the moment on a month ou every two months depending on my time, i open every film and flip them so they can breath and thus renew the air. I have also put a moisture absorber (silicium) in each boxe.

Do think it's effective or i wasting my time ? Because it's very it's rather boring and it takes time. I don't have enough platic box to change the boxes and I thin the illustration is more good looking than the Poso boxes. Since i check the film, i have juste found one film that turn vinegar (he was in a clamshell box). I starting to be a bit paranoid with these stories. I seem to smell vinegar all the time.

Originally posted by Pierre Mdihi View Post
    Hi everyone,

I don't have enough platic box to change the boxes and I thin the illustration is more good looking than the Poso boxes. Since i check the film, i have juste found one film that turn vinegar (he was in a clamshell box). I starting to be a bit paranoid with these stories. I seem to smell vinegar all the time.
    Pierre - If you are trying to save your films by taking them out of the clamshell boxes, then moving them into plastic ("platic") boxes is not the best idea. It has been said on this forum many times that the best way of storing films is in cardboard boxes, which allows air to get into them all the time.

Comment

Yes, the clamshell (hard plastic) releases acidic oxides faster than ordinary light cardboard...storage is the key, however...these acetates mjust be maintained at a relative 65 degrees or lower..Cheers, Shorty

Comment

Working...
      X