Phil Murat's GS1200 Motor Board.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phil Murat's GS1200 Motor Board.

Having owned a couple of GS1200’S for about 20 years now, and knowing how fussy they can be, I have learned that the best philosophy with these machines is the old adage “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”. Which is why Phil Murat’s V3 motor board for the GS1200 has sat idle on my desk for over a year now.
    I purchased this board from Phil back in 2020 as a back up for any future board failure on my GS1200’S. Well Friday night my old version 1 GS1200 suddenly went into convulsions, with the heat shutter jumping back and fore like a machine gun, the motor speed going from zero to about 5fps, and the blower doing its own thing. I had seen this kind of bad behavior on my other version 2 machine, and the problem in that case was a failure of the OEM motor board. The solution in that case was a replacement board from Leon. Now, the same situation on a different machine and it was time to put Phil’s new board to the test.
    The first thing you notice about Phil’s board is how good looking it is. It looks decades advanced from the comparatively primitive OEM board and the new board is meticulously manufactured with MIL-SPEC quality components and soldering. Just a fantastic looking board.
    Phil supplies everything needed for a successful installation , including new mounting posts and supports., and he has designed everything to make installation as simple as possible. I had to remove the rear foot of the projector (as Phil recommends) to get access to remove the old mounting posts and install the new ones. Once you’ve done that its just a matter of very carefully sliding on the new board and plugging in the two connectors.
    It took me about an hour to do the install. When I powered up the machine the little red LED light came on, indicating that all voltages were correct. I love that light – very reassuring when it lights up!
    All functions on the machine worked perfectly. The 24fps speed was running way low when I first started up a test run of “ The Super Nanny” from Mary Poppins (Julie Andrews sounded like a man!). I made several counterclockwise turns on the new 24fps trim-pot, and normal sound was obtained.
    So thanks to Phil for bringing my projector back to new life. And I can highly recommend his V3 motor board to all GS1200 owners. One thing for sure, that OEM motor board is going to fail one day – I’ve had two fail in two years.

RECOMMENDATION - 5 STARS!

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02987.JPG Views:	0 Size:	168.3 KB ID:	53619
    Last edited by Paul Adsett; February 06, 2022, 09:12 AM.

Paul, the new board is beautiful! I've read the posts about the failure of these OEM motor boards. Kudos to Phil for creating such a fantastic replacement for the classic GS1200. It's threads like this that keep me coming back to the 8mm forum. I bet you were thrilled when everything snapped back to life!
    Last edited by Shane C. Collins; February 06, 2022, 12:16 PM.

Comment

I have also successfully installed Phil's replacement board in an Elmo GS-1200 (Xenon). The attention to detail that Phil puts into producing these boards is impressive. Highly recommended for Elmo GS-1200 owners to obtain one for when the need may arise.

Comment

Makes me want to get a GS just so I can buy one of these boards, too!

-but seriously folks: I like that he mounted that IC in a socket so maybe someday it will be easy to replace it.

I had a projector sound board with a dead pre-amp IC a couple of years ago. I could probably remove and replace this IC at home (probably...), but on an old board the probability is not as high as I'd like without lands coming off the board surface and it getting messy.

I brought it to work and a friend who is a better solderer than me replaced all four ICs of this type at a commercial grade soldering station. I got a working sound board and he learned about film collecting!

-sockets would have been even better! (I might not even had to remove the board from the machine.)

Comment

Excellent mod for all GS1200 owners Paul Is Phil still making those boards? and how would we get in contact?

Comment

I have one of Phil's boards and it has been waiting very patiently to see which of my 2 GS's it will end up being installed in.

Graham,

Phil is a member here. You can always send him a PM.

Comment

Thanks Doug I just sent him a message

Comment

Hello

Thanks a lot at all for your nice words , this is much appreciated and highly motivating.
                This project was initiated on 2019 end. Special Thanks to Bill Parsons who supplied me with numerous helpfull informations : This was achieved mainly using good pictures from a GS1200 Board fitted with a BA6301 I/C.
                Also a friend on a « French Forum » helped me a lot for the reverse engineering and to incorporate the monitoring LED for BA6301 input voltage (because Electronic is not my speciality.). This small modification leads me to slightly increase boards dimensions.
                Finding suitable connectors was a bit challenging : First boards producted were achieved using same configuration as original boards. Unfortunately ,parts supplied by « Farnell » went directly to garbage .Not only were they expensive but contacts collapsed at first use !!!
                I decided to change for modern connectors on same pitch : More efficient, easier to find, less expensive.
                To be note sold boards were supplied with a set of « spare » sockets pre wired as necessary.
                Finaly hardware fixture was upgraded for something more practical : Once modified , only 5mn are necessary to remove the Governor board , without any tool to use.

Our « vintage » machines are aging now, some parts are hard to find . I have numerous projects to upgrade them , providing « god gives a second life » to me !!
                Just for exemple, I am thinking about the right way to incorporate LED « vu-meters » (Mono or Stereo as well) . Some kits are available in the market, but I need something compact due to a lake of room inside machines often time.
                Last modern projectors were marketed with LED « Vu-Meters » installed.
                To follow on

Comment

Hello GS1200 Fans,

My "V3" Boards very small stock is depleted now. I have NO DELAY to produce a new batch.

Anyway to schedule a new "V3" Production I need a "waiting list" for something between 10 to 15 items max , reasonably. Due to limited means I can not insure a production for over 15 items. (Also I use my machines as Test Bench so I can not make hundred of handlings....😉)
                  Waiting List = No Money to send

To give you an idea : 1 Board = 1 Labour day
                  Those who are interested in can drop me a message for more details.

Phil
                  Last edited by Phil Murat; February 09, 2022, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Hi Phil - as per my PM to you, please add me to the list.

Comment

Hi Phil,

the V3 board you kindly made for me some time ago works better than the original in my main GS1200 I use with a sync box for re recording.

If possible I'd like to fit my other two GS 1200's with these V3 boards.

PM sent.

Comment

Hi Mark,

Thanks a lot for your feed back !

Any comment is helpfull to improve the product as necessary.

I take in account your requirement.

Comment

Huge thanks to "Phil" today, as the new motor board arrived from France. I would like to add that Phil was excellent to deal with, not only making up this brilliant board, but also keeping me in contact with the tracking of it in the postage.

Once again Phil thanks so much for the board.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1240044.JPG
Views:	332
Size:	338.7 KB
ID:	55748
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	P1240043.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	55749

Comment

Graham I strongly recommend you follow Phil’s advice and you wipe the big board contact pins with silicone grease before inserting the new motor board. Take your time lining up the holes on the motor board with the vertical pins.

Comment

Thanks Paul, Phil also e-mailed me instructions as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X