Projector spindle running inconsistently

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Projector spindle running inconsistently

My bad luck streak continues! Just as everything is working out, another problem arises! My spindle is running inconsistently. I own a coaxial model Eumig S910 and I have found that the spindle is variating in speeds. From my limited knowledge I have managed to deduce that this inconsistent running means that the tension of my film is incorrect, so it is loose and falls off the take-up reel. It is another simple question but I can see that the cogs inside are running somewhat inconsistently. When I bought it I was told the belts were replaced and from what I can see the issue doesn't relate to this. Could it simply be grease hardening up or could the belt be slipping? I don't mean to nag you all so much but I really do love this hobby and would love to learn and invest my time into it. There just appear to be, with my luck, many challenges on the way.
    Thanks all again,
    James.

Well one big problem that occurs with all of the old projectors is dried out grease and therefore bad working slipper clutches on the take up reel. i know people are probably having a go again on the coaxial shafts of the 900's but in this case that fact is not the problem.

the only remedy is to disassemble the axle step by step, placing all the parts in the right order on a white cloth or towel for visibility. clean it all and put them back in in exactly the same order. removing normal E rings can be done with a tiny screwdriver. if you encounter the famous eumig circlips, dont even bother to disassemble them because you will do a lot of damage.

when put back together you must adjust the tension on the take up reel again. this procedure can be done with all sorts of measuring tools but as this is not a sprocketless projector it does not need to be super accurate. just make sure it takes up the film and doesn't pull super hard on it. getting the right setting without measuring devices needs some experience.

you set the tension with the first screw that comes off the axle and it is probably painted with a grey locking paint. no worries, you can break that paint by removing the nut. by screwing it in you bring the tension up and screwing it our you release the tension, just experiment to see when it takes the film up nice and even

Comment

Working...
    X