Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've gone creative!

Yep, bought an SD card for my camera!

The GS1200 I bought last year came from a lovely chap in Portsmouth (UK) and along with it a selection of goodies. A Single 8 camera and a Super 8 camera. I do have the family heirloom Super 8 camera. A Bell & Howell. But thought I'd try out the Super 8. A Eumig of course.

I know film is expensive but if I plan well and use it in conjunction to the digital stuff I have. I may just get 3 minutes of history worth keeping.

With me in the UK I went with Gauge Film Ltd.

I actually can't wait to start the process off and start shooting. Exciting stuff....

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220214_145351.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	54277

You will love the new Ektachrome. I've been shooting it since it was first released a few years ago. One word of advice, use a ND filter in bright light. Also you may want to expose this stock between 64-80 ASA. This stock looks better with more light projected. If the Bell & Howell has a backlight function use that while filming. It will increase exposure one stop.

Comment

I totally agree with Shane. I've been shooting this stock since it first came out (Oct 2018) and have found it superb every time. There has been a lot of what can only be described as "moaning" about the price, but for me it's about more than cost....it's about making permanent history. I've been shooting Super 8 since 1992 and when I look back over the now historic footage I have, I never think about price. At one time, film was just £9.99....and people still moaned rather than shooting and supporting our beloved format. Well done Shane, Stuart and everyone who is still shooting Super 8.

Comment

Thank for the advice and encouragement. I'll let you know how I get on. I think the turn around is 3 weeks. I'm just after processing. I'll probably shoot the film by the middle of March, so April will see results...

...Maybe sooner!

Comment

I recommend John Salim for processing Super 8. Once, although he does not guarantee this, I posted a film to him on Monday and was watching the processed footage by Wednesday. Google John Salim Photographic.

Comment

I agree with Simon! Lot's of people moan about the price, but in the end it's about capturing images on real film. Those images will probably outlast us if stored properly, and cared for. I've been shooting Super 8 since about 2005. Two years ago my wife and I had a son. Since his birth, I have captured his progress from a little baby to walking across the yard, all on Kodak's new Ektachrome. Watching these precious films on the projector is magical! There's is no other media that comes close. Sure digital has it's place, and I use it for still photos, and the occasional video. But Super 8 film will always stand out in my book! When family, and friends see themselves projected, then react with smiles, and laughter it makes me smile. It's in those moments I realize how important Super 8 is!

Stuart, since I know you have Eumig projectors, you must watch a completed film on one of them. My Eumig Mark M Super 8, with the 1.4 lens, makes the new Ektachrome look spectacular. The colors, grain, and sharpness are superb!
            I've seen lot's of videos uploaded to YouTube of the new stock. While they look nice, they don't hold a candle to the camera original on screen. I never realized how many people today never project their current Super 8 films. Many use negative, and will never see the true beauty of color reversal on the big screen.

Comment

Working...
            X