No announcement yet.

A cupboard full of strange things.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would not waste time shooting that old film that's in the camera. Kodachrome can't be processed any longer. You may not even get an imagine. Unprocessed Film does not age well unless it's frozen. Even then it's a crap shoot. Buy some new film and you will get far superior results. Here in the States I am able to buy a roll of Ektachrome for about $45 dollars. Processing at Dwayne's Photo is $12. I project only so there's no extra expense for a digital telecine. In the end have some fun! I only shoot about 3 or 4 rolls a year so I can justify the price that way I guess.

Comment

Ahh if it can't even be processed then it is indeed pointless.

Will see how I get on after I've got new film for it :-)

Comment

That film looks like Kodachrome 40 Type A? If so it will be very much out of date and as Shane says it is unlikely to have fared well.

If you do decide to shoot it regardless you can actually get it processed in B&W

http://www.theoldfilmcompany.com/Page5_1.htm

Not cheap and no guarantee of success.

It's run buy a guy called Rik but that's just a coincidence as it's not me!

Even if you decide not to get it processed I would suggest you still run the film to check the operation of the camera, familiarise yourself with how to load and unload the cartridge and also experience how quickly you run out of film!

Comment

Rik makes an excellent point! Use the old cartridge to see if the Canon is transporting film correctly. A technique I use, when preparing to shoot film, is to mark the film itself with a black marker. Put the film in the camera and hit the trigger. Then take the cart out and see if the film advanced inside the cartridge. If so that's a good sign the camera is running properly. You can also determine if the auto-exposure is responding to light. You should see the F-stop numbers move as you change directions under different lighting, etc. Some of the early Canon's required a mercury battery to operate the auto-exposure. The later cameras only require AA batteries to run the motor and auto-exposure.

Comment

Oh and as for the Eumig 710D I'd point out the following.

It's a dual format projectorThe most obvious different is the size and spacing of the sprocket holes on a film

There will be a second set of sprockets and film gate for the other format behind the lamp cover of the projector. In the unlikely event you ever need to change the sprockets then it is important to ensure the grey dial at the rear of the projector has the red dot at the top before changing the film gate. There is also a switch under the cover labelled N and S which should be set a N for Standard 8 and S for Super 8.

Lastly, when feeding a film to the projector it is important to have the film trimmed correctly for the Eumig. I will see if I can find an example to show. There's also a lever below the lens that you hold down until the film has appeared at the rear spool.

Hopefully you have a owners manual explaining this with the projector?
            Last edited by Rik Jackman; February 16, 2022, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Thanks gents. I do have both sets of sprockets but will check.

Film trim looks like two 45 degree corners trimmed off each side with a flat leading edge. I'm sure I've seen that mentioned here in other posts.

Will let you know how I get on with loading the film

Comment

Film loaded into Camera. Light source metering is working automatically and the film is very definitely turning through the cartridge. Film counter also moving accordingly. This is the Electronic version of the 814 so the light meter runs off the AA batteries, no seperate D cell in this.

To all intents and purposes and without throwing a real film in, it all component parts appear to be working as they should. And now I've read the manual and adjusted the eye lens ( and cleaned it) - all of the numbers on the light meter are clear and visible too.

Will have a play with the projector over the weekend and see how that behaves.

And just for forum interest, i'll lay out all the contents of all the boxes i've got and take some decent pictures so you can have a nosey at it.

Comment

You've probably read some posts on Eumig's. They may just need to warm up to loosen all the old grease. Have a look see at Shane's thread on motor mounts for the Mark M or 8. Same motor and disk setup. The rubber coated drive disks may be hard and speed slipping. Lee uses belt dressing. Auto part spray. Spray into a bag I guess and then apply with cotton bud.
                  Super Lube if it needs it. I think you'll be glad you kept the cine thing going. I've just bought a film from Gauge Film in the UK inclusive of processing. I've no doubt cheaper about but I just wanted to dip my toes. Can't actually remember the film. Kodak reversal - projector friendly. £80'ish, if memory serves. Which it doesn't most of the time!
                  Anyway, as mentioned. Enjoy 👍

Comment

Just to add a bit to Stuart's post. The method I found to clean the rubber discs of the Eumig projector was to do the following. I first cleaned the discs with alcohol, applied with a cotton swab. I did this several times with a new cotton swab after each disc was cleaned. Then I followed that up with CRC automotive belt dressing. It was actually forum member Paul Adsett that recommended this, and it works! What I did was to apply the belt dressing several times coating the discs. I used several cottom swabs until they stopped turning black. I then applied one last heavy coating of belt dressing all the way around to both discs. I let the machine sit for 48 hours before using it. After that time was up I tried it out. Came up to speed right away! I've talked with Paul and he cleans his discs once a year with the belt dressing. That is probably a good recommendation. After the clean and sitting for 48 hours the rubber looked brand new. A nice dark black color!

Comment

Yeah. Rubber dries out over time. I've an old 90s car with a motorised roof and complex seals. If you don't silicon grease them they shrink and aren't supple which makes for a bad seal and a damp car.

Anyway that's for the weekend. I've another box with an old 35mm slide projector and a reel to reel tape player to go through and test.

That cupboard really is the giving gift!

Comment

And that's it - all sold. Got what I'd frankly call silly money for the 814 but that's the weirdness of Ebay.

Shy bairns get nowt and it does no harm to write a good advert and let it sit.

Comment

Not wanting to drag it off topic but I fear the golden years of the 9.5mm convention is over due to age of the reel fans.

Flea Bay is another mystery of life but I pray your items find a loving home.
                          Times are a changing....

Comment

From my limited understanding .....

As long as the motor works, the shutter operates and the film can move .... that's it. Its not electrical like the newer digital stuff is. I also hope the new owner uses it and gets some joy from it.

None of it is any use gathering dust here.

I've been 'restoring' an old Corona typewriter too which despite being over 100 years old still works correctly. After much cleaning and tinkering anyway.

Binned a brownie and an old kodak but sold a Pentax SLR and a Voigtlander. Still got the Eumig projector, an old Aldis 303 plus a 35mm cartridge Zeiss Ikon Projector.

Fair to say ive had my moneys worth of enjoyment from it all.

Comment

Ah what an abrupt ending

But since we've been so spoiled with today's digital video acquisition, to the point that we no longer have to think about it at all. Need to shoot a video RIGHT NOW? Just pick your phone up and shoot and that's it. Therefore that's very understandable.

Although I'm just old enough to have some memories when Super 8 still rules the world, but I'm more than happy to grab my camcorder/digital camera and start shooting. While my customers (where most of them are much, much younger than me) choose to shoot on films and use my scanning service for final output. So that really depends...

Comment

I'm just a handful of years too young but still old enough to get irritated by folk waving iPads around whilst claiming to be professionals! We live in a 'right now' world sadly where the focus is on the moment. 8mm won't let you see the instant results and then post it for all the world to potentially see.

Personally ( and whilst i do use Instagram /Facedevil) i think they are the death of proper relationships. Facedevil I only use to stay in touch with a handful of friends who moved abroad - you won't find me filling it with stuff that companies can suck out and use to sell me stuff i neither need nor want.

I always like to finish a thread - without the advice here i'd not have got as far as I did with getting it working and it would all have most likely ended up in a skip. Some of it will live on and get some use, most of it in fact. I just don't have any use for it, not because I'm against 8mm but more because I'm just not that into making film and video.

Comment

Working...
                                X