"Romney Hythe and Dymchurch Railway"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Romney Hythe and Dymchurch Railway"

After I up-loaded this to you-tube a while back now. I decided to send a copy direct to there Facebook page for there own archive. One of the things that made the effort worthwhile, was the comments you get back from folk there. Films like this bring back memories of those times, Thankfully Walton films used good color stock, anyway here is a wee blast from the past enjoy.

I first saw this railway in 1975 when on a trip with the local church choir, that my wife sang in, in 1975 but had no chance to ride on it. I did that in the 1980's when British Rail sold a combined ticket fro train from London, bus to the railway and a return trip on it: or should that be circuit trip as there is a loop at Dungeness so the train does not reverse. My last trip was in 2019 and it was still going strong then. Nice to see its history in this film. Here's a photo I took on the latest trip.

Comment

Had a Greek dinner on this train in 1995...

Comment

Now, I have this print which also shows L&H...Shorty

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	RH_D.jpg Views:	0 Size:	188.1 KB ID:	55251

Graham, it looks like your Walton RH&D isn't the only one they ever did. I got this one off the Derann used lists somewhere in the 2000s. It is a similar yet different film (-for one thing, no Laurel and Hardy). It is black and white (It may be a B&W print from a color negative) and has among the worst sound tracks in my whole collection! It's muddy and here and there are snippets of sound backwards under and instead of the regular sound. (Let's hope it was just some really un-qualified Eager Beaver attempting to re-record!)

-I like yours a lot better!

I do have both reels that Derann sold, including the harder one to find: Romney Hythe and Dymchurch Railway

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bi...c;f=4;t=000324

All of these films have that same young trainman with the cap and 1970s haircut. (Does he know he's 8mm Famous?)

Model Railway Thought: it should be possible to model the RH&D using N gauge trains (cosmetically modified) and O scale figures, scenery and buildings. Explaining it all to your guests: that's where the real challenge begins!

Comment

That's interesting Steve, I wonder if anyone else here has that particular B/W film and what the sound is like. Somebody did mention the trainman with the cap after sending it to them.

Brian...they have a interesting and active Facebook page, well worth checking out.

Steve

I just checked out the Facebook page, and after scrolling down quite a bit I found the video. One interesting reply was from a chap who was a driver in that actual film driving "Dr Syn", he does mention that its his favourite film from the 70s, originally entitled "Small for it Age", and states, filming started on the 31st May 1977 over a few days plus mentions a lot of other interesting stuff as well. For me its really great to be able to share it with them. I up-loaded it direct from my computer to there page, so no matter what happens in the future, they will always have it in there archive.
            Last edited by Graham Ritchie; February 26, 2022, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Smallest Public Railway.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.8 KB ID:	55278

This could get interesting, Graham!

Old-Timers here may remember Tim Christian (-no insult: I joined in 2003!). He was as big-hearted a film enthusiast as ever lived, and a good friend of mine. His two biggest film-things were Eumig and Walton. For a couple of years, he had a Walton Films website. After he died I saw the writing on the wall and grabbed as much of it as I could while I had the chance, just to honor his enthusiasm.

He lists the Walton RH&D as #818, Black and White with Sound: like mine. I think Tim gleaned his information from catalogs, so it's possible your print is no less than unusual.

Which Walton number is on your print? Is it the same title?
              It's interesting the number of titles that I didn't know were ever Waltons!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Walton Transport.jpg Views:	0 Size:	249.7 KB ID:	55279

Comment

That list seems almost exactly the same as the 1976 Walton catalogue, just one extra above (Steam Engine).

Comment

Really enjoyed watching that. Thanks for uploading it Graham.

The one that Steve has, is listed in the 1976 Walton catalogue as available as one reel black and white in either sound or silent versions (A818 for both versions).

The one you uploaded is listed in the 1979 Walton catalogue as available as one reel colour in either sound or silent versions (A879 for both versions).

Comment

Your welcome Gary

Steve as Gary mentioned above, the Walton number is A879.

The number for "150th Anniversary Of Steam" Colour/sound is different as the same title above, I think would be the B/W version.

I don't see "King George V" above either, I do notice "Engine Driver" which I guess might be same film Derann released, possibly obtaining the negative after Walton closed.

I will say this about "Walton Films", they used in general good color film stock, and to this day the color of there films thankfully has held up really well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1230828.JPG Views:	0 Size:	99.7 KB ID:	55308
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1230829.JPG Views:	0 Size:	225.9 KB ID:	55309
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1230830.JPG Views:	0 Size:	154.9 KB ID:	55310
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1230831.JPG Views:	0 Size:	172.3 KB ID:	55311

Comment

Working...
                    X