Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Items to increase projection size in short throw situations.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Items to increase projection size in short throw situations.

Hi all hope someone has any ideas or possible solutions for this.

I have a wonderful st1200 which is working great now I’ve cleaned snd replaced all the parts with the extremely kind help of Steve Osborne who called me and told me what I could do based on the symptoms I am seeing. Couldn’t be happier. where I need help is this. Ito get a larger thrown/projected image I can shoe a film sideways in my apartment (I live in nyc). I am hoping to see if there’s a way to increase the image size when I throw the projection in a much shorter distance and wondered if there was ever an item made that could help do that? I have a setup where I could then much more easily watch the film from a sofa. As of now the image is totally fine but small. Would be good to get it a bit bigger, at least to a slightly larger tv size. Any ideas? I would like to project with about 6ft from lens to screen if possible.

Scott, in the 70’s I came across the a Spacial Sideral Attachment. It essentially increases the screen projected size over short distances. I know people will say it’s poorly made and the glass is inferior. What I did was remove all the black surround and mount the one element lens in a lens bracket in front of my Elmo ST180m, Eumig 807D and Eumig 802. I have used it ever since I purchased it and it can project an academy print 6-7 feet wide at a throw of about 10 feet. There’s one on eBay uk now. Click image for larger version

Name:	71351655-C9BE-4AD0-96F2-86DBFEE32FED.jpeg
Views:	326
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	55653

Comment

There was an attachment called "Spacial Sideral lens" for 8mm. However that was just a large negative dioptire lens to put in front of the projection lens and needed large change to the focus. It didn't work with all projectors and as not as high an optical quality gave a slightly degraded picture.

Other wide angle attachments meant for still cameras that I tried gave even worse results, but there may me something out there I don't know about.

Edit. Phil posted whilst I was typing.

Comment

See: https://8mmforum.film-tech.com/vbb/f...r-gs-1200-help

Comment

Scott, what lens are you using at the moment ? If you're using an Elmo 1.0 or a 1.1 12.5-25 lens, you could replace it by a 1.1 11-30 Schneider lens with an Elmo sleeve. This difference will not be that big but it will increase the size of your picture when ste at 11.

Comment

There is an attachment, a wide conversion lens, that will increase the size. Winbert posted this as an example:

https://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-b...=008126#000016

Here's one on Ebay, only $8:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38476569960...IAAOSwV9Zh9GXv

Hope this helps.

Comment

I was able to increase the image size using a wide angle lens on my Sankyo 800.

https://8mmforum.film-tech.com/vbb/f...ide-angle-lens

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Moors View Post
                Scott, in the 70’s I came across the a Spacial Sideral Attachment. It essentially increases the screen projected size over short distances. I know people will say it’s poorly made and the glass is inferior. What I did was remove all the black surround and mount the one element lens in a lens bracket in front of my Elmo ST180m, Eumig 807D and Eumig 802. I have used it ever since I purchased it and it can project an academy print 6-7 feet wide at a throw of about 10 feet. There’s one on eBay uk now. Click image for larger version

Name:	71351655-C9BE-4AD0-96F2-86DBFEE32FED.jpeg
Views:	326
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	55653
                I have a box somewhere in the store of boxed Spacial Sideral lenses, I havent checked exactly what is there but I do remember there is some 3D kit in one of the packets in there. Has anyone come across the 3d stuff before and is it any good?

What were Spacial known for?

I will eventually get it all out and list exactly whats there when I get some spare time.

Nick
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X