Lubricating a Eumig Claw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lubricating a Eumig Claw?

I have a question for the Eumig experts or anyone who uses them. As many of you know I recently bought a Eumig Mark M Super 8 projector. I've done some upgrades, like new motor mounts, and lubricated everywhere I could see to do so. From the back it's easy to find the oiling points. The projector runs great, and projects with excellent results on screen. I was using it tonight and got to thinking. Is there a spot or area at the front portion of the claw that needs oiled? I've noticed the projector is slightly noisier around the claw area when projecting in forward. In reverse the claw is almost silent. Is this just a trait for these early machines?

The question I probably should have asked was: Is there a oil point where the claw itself is located? I oiled where it attaches at the back of the machine closest to the shutter assembly. As I stated above, the slight noise I am hearing, when there's no film loaded, may be just a Eumig noise.

Comment

The claw slides on a cam with some kind of plastic bushes, you could put a little grease on the cam but nothing more. the pivot on the back also needs a little lube but use the tiniest amounts. just to prevent any contamination of the gate and film path

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Snel View Post
        The claw slides on a cam with some kind of plastic bushes, you could put a little grease on the cam but nothing more. the pivot on the back also needs a little lube but use the tiniest amounts. just to prevent any contamination of the gate and film path
        Thanks Erik,
        I did as you recommended, and wouldn't you know it's now quieter in forward play mode. I suspected that's where the noise was coming from but wasn't 100% sure. I was able to shine a flashlight into the area where the claw slides on the cam, as you mentioned above. I applied a small amount of grease, and she is now purring like a kitten! I added a bit more around the pivot area. You may laugh but I used the end of a zip tie to apply the grease at the cam. It's tight in there so I needed something skinny, and this worked well!

Comment

For whatever reason some projectors really run QUIETER in reverse, than in forward.

My 16mm projector (Elmo 16F, a darn old beast) did behave exactly this since day one. After years it's still running strong with absolutely no sign of issues, so I assume that's the way it is and live with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Nantawat Kittiwarakul View Post
            For whatever reason some projectors really run QUIETER in reverse, than in forward.

My 16mm projector (Elmo 16F, a darn old beast) did behave exactly this since day one. After years it's still running strong with absolutely no sign of issues, so I assume that's the way it is and live with that.
            I think some of this is just my OCD kicking in. To be honest it's not that loud, but I'm always listening, and trying to find ways to make my projectors quieter. The Eumig Mark M Super 8 machine really is a well made, and robust projector. Now that it's quieter, I like it even more hahaha. I probably have done more to this machine than other's might consider. But after redoing the motor mounts, lubrication, and general cleaning plus alignment this thing is like brand new! Now it's time to sit back and enjoy running some film!

Comment

Working...
            X