Pieces Of Silver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pieces Of Silver

This is one of my favorite Super 8 films bought new from Derann a long time ago. I was so impressed with this particular short, that I later bought a new 16mm print from them as well, I like the final shot of baby on the lawn, many a roll of film would have been used for that subject over the years .

Those Derann shorts like Reflections UK and the US version, were great value, and have a lot of what I call "repeatability". They really do cram in a lot of extracts, which in itself fun to try to quickly name them
    Last edited by Graham Ritchie; March 06, 2022, 02:33 AM.

They were all great openers for a show. Remember the other one they released Cinema Cinema one collector who was a bit straight laced showed it to an audience without watching it first and was mortified when he had naked bodies 😳😳😳frolicking in his cinema

Comment

Looking for Reflections; UK version, also the 100 Years of Film , which Turner occasionally airs, starting with the Lumiere excerpt of the dancing maiden from 1893...will buy this in 16 or 8...Cheers, Shorty

Comment

Originally posted by Graham Ritchie View Post
        This is one of my favorite Super 8 films bought new from Derann a long time ago. I was so impressed with this particular short, that I later bought a new 16mm print from them as well, I like the final shot of baby on the lawn, many a roll of film would have been used for that subject over the years .

Those Derann shorts like Reflections UK and the US version, were great value, and have a lot of what I call "repeatability". They really do cram in a lot of extracts, which in itself fun to try to quickly name them
        Your post sent me off looking for a better copy of Pieces of Silver, but the only thing I found was an Ebay sale last February of the 16mm version which sold for just under $300. It would be nice if someone would gather all the films of Chuck Workman and restore them and release a Bluray/UHD of his films.

In the meantime, we will have to settle for the Chuck Workman videos on YouTube.

WORDS (1987)

100 YEARS AT THE MOVIES (1994)

Precious Images (1996)

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Caruso View Post
          the Lumiere excerpt of the dancing maiden from 1893
          The Lumière brothers started to shoot films in 1895

Comment

I’d forgotten about Precious Images. Must go and dig it out. As you say very repeatable.

Comment

Ah yes, 1895...was thinking of Edison...Is the "100 Years Of Film" for sale by anyone in S8 or 16? Cheers, Shorty

Comment

I would love to do a re-record of the sound track of this film- mine is not that great Can anybody point to a good quality source, or if they have one post it on youtube?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Adsett View Post
                  I would love to do a re-record of the sound track of this film- mine is not that great Can anybody point to a good quality source, or if they have one post it on youtube?
                  Paul, I did not find a copy of Pieces of Silver on YouTube. I did find this being discussed last year on this forum:

Link: https://8mmforum.film-tech.com/vbb/f...ages-the-sound

I also found a site that rents out a DVD:

Click image for larger version

Name:	workman1.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	55796

Name:	workman2.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	55797

Link: https://film-makerscoop.com/catalogu...us-images-1986

Comment

Going through my old Derann news letters that have survived "sadly not many", I came across the add for the 16mm prints. If I remember right a new Super 8 print was about, at a guess 27-29 pound which was pretty good.

This was the only time I bought a brand new 16mm print, as well as my previous original Super8 print, but in this particular case, it was well worth it.

Name:	P1030676.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	55977

Name:	P1030677.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	55978

Comment

Going through my old Derann news letters that have survived "sadly not many", I came across the add for the 16mm prints. If I remember right a new Super 8 print was about, at a guess 27-29 pound which was pretty good.

This was the only time I bought a brand new 16mm print, as well as my previous original Super8 print, but in this particular case, it was well worth it.
                      That 16mm print of Pieces of Silver was a great addition to your collection and a great investment; it has appreciated about 400% since you purchased it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194775283316

Comment

Hi Ed

Its a pity its gone this way price wise, as it pushes folk well away from film due to the cost. I will this about Derann, although film was expensive, it was nothing like its become today. Derann used to send out second hand lists, that often had the above title for sale on Super8, a lot less than that new price. I do miss them arriving in the post and later as a e-mail. The news letters were good value, always something film wise worth getting, plus I should add the good folk at Derann were excellent to deal with, those really were the good ole days.

The last new film I bought from Derann was "One Froggy Evening" the CGI shorts were great value as the "Look at Life" shorts as well, the films still get regular screenings.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	P1030668.JPG Views:	0 Size:	125.1 KB ID:	55985
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	P1030675.JPG Views:	0 Size:	166.1 KB ID:	55986
                        I think both Steve and I ordered new copies around the same time of "The Beatles Come To Town" that was a good one still is .
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	P1030678.JPG Views:	0 Size:	133.4 KB ID:	55987

Name:	P1030679.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	55988
                        Last edited by Graham Ritchie; March 10, 2022, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Of all the re records I've had thru my hands I must have done loads of these as the original 8mm sound dubbing was so variable.

Paul I dub mine from 16mm making for a much better track.

Comment

looking for 100 Years of Film on 16 or 8, the one that turner occasionally airs, cheers, shorty

Comment

Hi Ed

Its a pity its gone this way price wise, as it pushes folk well away from film due to the cost.
                              I look at it as a positive. I think it would be much worse if there was no interest in film, and the prices dropped and film was considered as valuable as yesterday's newspaper.

Comment

Working...
                              X