Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making THE BLACK HOLE a Digest?

Dear Collectors

For decades I am a fan of the (often underestimated) masterpiece THE BLACK HOLE.
    I owned the german cutdown by piccolo film and sold it, because it was only the final of the feature and too flat for my taste.
    (In my youth I watched the 70mm version when it opened in the „Royal Palast“ Cinema in Berlin and some features are not meant to be watched in flat!)

And now I dream of a better Super-8 version of that title. But would this even be possible?

All the best
    Oliver
    Last edited by Oliver Feld; March 06, 2022, 02:31 PM.

Oliver
    I have the Disney 400ft Super 8 of "The Black Hole". How does this differ from your suggestion?

Comment

Maurice
      If You don’t know the storyline, the existing cutdown isn’t that good.
      I know it’s just a dream, but this is one of the titles I always wished as a 2- or 3-parter.

Comment

I agree with Oliver. If one wanted to make a 600ft digest of this, that would be awesome, but I would suggest tracking down a scope 35mm or 16mm for the digest. If anyone has a low fade print of this in the above guages, in scope, I will actually make a "digital digest" from the DVD, and then do the same from the scope elements, as, just as said, this is one of those films that should be seen in scope!

Comment

Does anyone know if the Disney 200' digest contains any scenes not in the 400' version? Click image for larger version

Name:	Black Hole 200'.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	55741 Click image for larger version

Name:	Black Hole promo.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	55742

Comment

No, it does not. I used to have it. Interestingly, they did a much better "digest" with the 200ft, than they did with the 400ft, as the 400ft was mostly a long, nearly unedited sequence from the Black Hole. The 200ft was actually a true digest, of the 400ft section used for the 400ft.

Comment

I also liked the "wireframe" animation trailer for this that was on the "Aristocats meet Scat Cat" 200ft release.

Comment

How long was that trailer, by the way? Around 30 seconds or so?

Comment

I never timed it, but I would think no longer than a minute.

Comment

With "The Black Hole" it seems Disney Home Movies continued with their tradition of releasing a particular section of a film (such as "Whistle While You Work" from Snow White). Possibly they could have indicated that with a more specific title, such as "Entering the Hole."

Comment

I felt that the only misstep on the film was the "cartoons" robots with they're rediculous "eyes". As a science fiction, it worked really well. Critics didn't like the "Dante's Inferno" style ending, but I found it passable, the only downside being the ponderous long shots of the hellish realms. Most certainly, however, a new digest would HAVE to be in scope. I would be curious if the Disney studio, amongst they're library Digests prints of the late 70's, early 80's?

Comment

I own the Cinemascope trailer of THE BLACK HOLE and this is a stunning trailer with a breathtaking image! This is why I always wanted to own more.

Comment

.....OK so is this thread about Making THE BLACK HOLE a Digest?
                          Or THE BLACK HOLE TRAILER ??
                          Please ,make up your mind , my fine feathered film shmoes .

Last edited by David Baker; March 07, 2022, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Oliver, is that trailer a super 8 trailer? Interestingly, YouTube only has a flat trailer, running almost three and a half minutes.

Comment

A NEW tightly edited 400 foot digest of THE BLACK HOLE in letterbox would make a very cool addition to my collection of Super 8mm films. But the question is who would be interested in purchasing such a digest for $275 USD or so? Editing is the easy part. Producing a 16mm negative needed to to produce Super 8 prints is expensive. I know of only one place that will do this and it's in Germany and they set the price. Pay it or pass.

Paying for a negative and selling maybe 10 prints does not produce a profit. It produces a loss.

Now, if you could drum up at least 25 interested AND PAYING customers for a new digest of THE BLACK HOLE - it might be doable.

I'll buy one. Anyone else? Should we start a kickstarter?

Comment

Working...
                              X