External speaker for projection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External speaker for projection

Hi friends! I've been wanting to improve the sound of the elmo st 1200 for a long time, for my taste it's very strident, and I've seen that there are some second-hand options: a bauer hifi35 and the elmo es-500. Does anyone have them or has tried them? thanks to everyone!

I could not comment on the bauer hifi35 or elmo es-500 speakers if you specifically want one of those.
    You can use any speaker that is 8 ohm and has a 2pin DIN. I'm sure there is something local to yourself on Ebay, and probably a lot newer than the ones you are looking at. However you may find yourself having to by a pair doing that. On the other hand old, 40 year old speakers might be a bit 'tired' and battered.
    One other choice is to use the 'audio/ line out on the Elmo, and use a seperate amp/ speaker set up. Then its just the cost of a lead.

Comment

Thanks Martin, I have also thought about using the aux output and opting for some type of portable speaker

Comment

Usually you have an "Aux Speaker" output and just "Aux." The aux speaker output is the output of the amplifier and when you use it it cuts off the internal speaker. "Aux." is a much weaker signal for driving an amplifier and if you plugged a speaker directly into it, you wouldn't even hear a whisper.

"Aux Speaker" works just fine: you can put the sound where you want it and use a bigger speaker for more bass response and it's as simple as getting the connection right.

"Aux." with an amplifier allows for many more possibilities. You can hook into a more powerful Amp and maybe rattle the china closet a little (Just don't annoy your neighbors!). You can have as many and as large speakers as you can afford and you can start playing with equalizers, mixers, effects panels and improve the quality of the sound.

I do sound through a external system like this, and I find it really enhances my enjoyment of this hobby.

Something interesting I've found is I actually get less complaints about my sound from the rest of the house when I use the external sound system, even though there certainly is more volume. I think the small speaker within the projector gives a much more treble tones and it's more irritating for listeners than if there was more bass.

Comment

Elmo also made the ES1000 pair of auxiliary loud speakers which were very popular.
          Here is an old Forum posting of a member who was selling them at the time.
          I have such a pair and they are great. (Not for sale).
          8mm Forum: Pair Of Elmo ES1000 Speakers NOW SOLD (film-tech.com)

Comment

Doug uses a pair of these Elmo external speakers at CineSea with his GS-1200 and they do a great job even in that large room.

Comment

I connected my projectors up to a soundbar with subwoofer. It sounds terrific.

https://8mmforum.film-tech.com/vbb/f...with-subwoofer

Comment

There are a large selection of "Powered Monitor Speakers" available. These are sold in single units, have a built in amplifier and sould quality for studio work. They will be under Disco or DJ supplies. Price is reflective of quality but the cheaper ones are normally quite sufficiant for someone who is not an "Audiophile"

Nick

Comment

Working...
                X