Question from the Ignorant New Guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question from the Ignorant New Guy

I recently bought a Bell and Howell Lumina MX-60 from the local Goodwill. After figuring out a workaround for a loose belt, I bought an 8mm Disney film reel off eBay and found that the projector worked well. I wanted to play with the unit some more, so I order a few more old Disney films off eBay. These were listed as 8mm films and the film stock appears to be identical to the 8mm film I previously purchased. When I tried to put it on the projector, I found that the reel had a different type of hole that would not fit on the spindle. The hole is roughly the same size, but the one that fits my projector is round with 3 slots for drive ears. The ones that don't fit have a square hole with 2 ears and a 3rd shorter ear positioned about where I thought it would fit on my projector, however, the position was slightly off, and the ear hole wasn't quite long enough. I have included pictures to clarify my vague description. Were these square-holed reels made for a specific projector, or am I just too ignorant to put them on my projector? Any assistance or information is very much appreciated. - Kevin

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	55995

Name:	thumbnail (1).jpg
Views:	306
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	55996

Kevin,
    The reels with the square holes are 16mm reels, not regular (standard) 8mm. The width of the film on those reels should be twice the width of the film on that 8mm (round hole) reel. If so, then they sold you some 16mm films instead of 8mm films.

Comment

Kevin

Is the film on the spool actually 8mm, known as regular/standard 8? Or, is it twice as wide with perforations on each side. If so, it is 16mm.

If it is 16mm I suggest you return it to the seller. That is if it was sold as 8mm. If it is 8mm you can also buy some spare spools and re-spool it.

Comment

Hi Kevin and a warm welcome. The good news is we are all still learning about the wonders of film 😎

Comment

I cannot tell from that top view of the reel, but that inner hub of the reel is certainly 16mm. Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Maurice Leakey View Post
            If it is 8mm you can also buy some spare spools and re-spool it.
            There are, indeed, some 8 mm spools with a 16 mm square. They are quite rare and, I have personnaly never came across small spools like this (but I do own some 600 m 8mm spools with a 16mm square).

Comment

Kevin
              Here is a spare regular 8 200ft spool for sale on eBay.
              1 - *NEW* 8mm REGULAR 8 200' EMPTY PLASTIC REEL (WHITE) | eBay

Comment

Hello Kevin,
                Standard 8mm film was often sold on reels with a square spindle hole, in the late 1930's. Excel Projector Company, Chicago IL sold 8mm and 16mm with square spindles. Films were sold by Excel, Keystone, Castle, Official, and Hollywood Film Enterprises (AKA Disney) to name a few companies. This photo is a few of the reels I have collected. Use care with sellers of used films described as "For all 8mm and 16mm projectors." I hope this is helpful and encourage you to enjoy this great hobby. From Greensboro NC David L. Baker

Name:	100_0624.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	56065

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Kevin. You are not ignorant, even us seasoned veterans continually ask and re-hash questions because there is always new information. We learn from each other, as all friends do, so again, welcome friend..Call me Shorty, long-time collector of small gauge films and accessories

Comment

Thanks for all the great responses. I suspected it was something quirky like you suggest David L. Baker and Dominique De Bast. They're still neat to have and I'll just spin them off on regular 8mm reels, as you suggest Maurice Leakey, if we choose to watch them. Thank again.

Comment

Working...
                    X