Should I, or Shouldn't I ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I, or Shouldn't I ??

I am in two minds over something and would appreciate your views and comments.

I have a number of full length features where I also possess their 400' cutdowns as well. The question is.... should I get rid of my 400'ers ?

What do you think ?

No... keep them

Some nights Melvin you might like to watch those cut downs rather than the whole feature.

Comment

That's a classic film-collecting question!

-right up there with "I already have it as a (disk/8mm print/16mm print) should I buy the (disk/8mm print/16mm print)?".

The conventional wisdom says we shouldn't have any of this stuff anymore, so you should listen to your heart!
      (I did: it sounded something like "goosh!, goosh!, goosh!, goosh!...". -THAT wasn't at all helpful! -Next time I'll ask a kidney!)

-about the only rule I go by is this one: "Would I buy this film print if it was a DVD in the bargain bin for a buck twenty five?". That's actually saved me from wasting money and space a few times.

Comment

I agree. There are times that you know that you don't have the time to watch the full feature, but a digest allows you to still see the main bits of the feature.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham Ritchie View Post
          .....No. Keep them, some nights you might like to watch those cut downs rather than the whole feature....
          I definitely agree with Graham.

Comment

The choice is your Melvin but once I got a feature print on 8mm the 400’ lost its glitter for me. Once you get features you never go back to digests.

Comment

Melvin,

Keep those cutdowns! I've screened the digests of Raise The Titanic, Chinatown, Alien and others many more times than the features. It's like tapas.....sometimes a number of small dishes is just what you want.

Comment

Melvin, why not look at both and give it deep thought; "Which Digests Should I sell to Shorty?" LOL...Really though, write down a complete list of features and a complete list of their counterparts. Which are potential sellers? What popular titles will always be crowd-pleasers? Give it a rousing go mate, you'll find your answer...Cheers, Shorty

Comment

I would also say it depends on the overall quality and colour of the cutdown. If it's quite pink get rid of it.

Comment

I have the full length feature of "The African Queen" on 16mm...but watch my S8mm cutdown way more.

Comment

Janice - That would be one of the cutdowns in question !

Thank you everybody for your views. After some thought, I think I will keep them after all, notwithstanding any that may have turned pink/red (thank you Graham S. for your comments). Surprisingly, people still buy them at the right price.

The fact is, that for years and years, my super 8 collection consisted only of cutdowns ("Shorty 2" ?). That is how I have kind of seen super 8 collecting for a long time.... as "mini cinema." I can put on a trailer, a 200' documentary and a cutdown and feel I have been to the cinema "in miniature" so to speak and be finished within the hour.

In the latter years, the finances extended to full length features. The thrill of seeing a complete feature projected across the room onto that screen for the first time, instead of an edit, was something short of mind blowing. It was almost as if, because it was on a projector and not dvd, it would HAVE to be edited. But no.... there it was in all its full length glory! It gave the feeling of finally having "arrived" in super 8 collecting.

Therefore, I can now put on a proper full length cinema presentation..... trailers, adverts, 200'er and feature.
                      However, the "feel" of projecting full length is very different from my "mini cinema" projecting. It's neither better nor worse.... just different. I don't want to lose that original feeling, so I suppose deep down in my heart I would keep the 2-reelers..... but still felt I needed the advice from all of you who ALL know what you are talking about.

Thank you so much.

Comment

You are wise beyond your years, grasshopper!

Comment

Melvin, hang on to both versions, if you sell you will always regret it !
                          John

Comment

Keep an index card labeled, "Viewing Log" with each film. In the future when you are considering selling the film, look at the log. If you haven't watched the film in X years, it's time for it to go...

This methodology works for all films, except the ones your mom or dad bought for your 12th birthday. There are things that can never be replaced.

Comment

Working...
                            X