Elmo GP 8mm Projector Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elmo GP 8mm Projector Noise

Elmo GP 8mm projector stops playing and makes a loud clattering sound. After turning forward/reverse knob off and on several times the clattering stops and it plays again. I can't figure out why it does this. Suggestions?

Help!!

Comment

If your not able to figure this out, it may be time to move on to a better machine. There are plenty for sale online these days. Currently my go to machine for silent Super 8 is the Eumig Mark M Super 8 projector. This machine is very gentle on film, and uses a very sharp 1.4 zoom lens designed by Eumig. However, there are many more like this one that are good performing machines.
      If you didn't pay much for the Elmo then no great loss really. Sometimes it's just better to move on than try to fix a lemon as they say.

Comment

I tend to agree with you. Does the Eumig Mark M Super 8 also play regular 8mm film?

Comment

I found 8mm / Super 8 Projector: Eumig, Mark-501 near my location for $50 in good condition.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Elsass View Post
            I found 8mm / Super 8 Projector: Eumig, Mark-501 near my location for $50 in good condition.
            Don the Mark 501 uses the older "spaceman" bulb that can be very expensive to replace. The Eumig Mark M Super 8 machine I have only plays Super 8 film. Eumig did make dual format machines that play both formats. One particular silent projector is the Eumig Mark DL. The reason I personally like these early versions is the twist to focus lenses. They are very precise with no play. The one negative to these early machines is the fact they sometimes need new motor mounts. These can be purchased from Van Eck. It's not hard to do but does require some disassembly. These machines also use rubber discs to drive the shutter. Those usually can just be reconditioned with rubber renew or automotive belt dressing. I did this to my Mark M and it plays like new. Once those two things have been addressed the early Mark-series are great running machines!

As I type this, I'm thinking in your case, the later Eumig Mark 610D would be a good option. It plays both formats, and uses the later halogen bulb. The belts can also be purchased new. Here's a photo of that machine. I had one of these and liked it a lot! It's also small and has a good light output using a 100 watt bulb. I assume your just viewing movies the traditional way with a normal screen set up? If this is the case most projectors using a 100 watt bulb will do just fine. My Mark M Super 8 uses a 100 watt bulb and a special condenser lens. It's darn near as bright as a 150 watt bulb. The 3 bladed shutter also helps.

Click image for larger version  Name:	film_57_Mark-610-D_1596617749168.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.1 KB ID:	56124

Comment

Don
              Here are more details of the Eumig Mark 610D. It uses uses a readily obtainable lamp. The EFP.
              Eumig Mark 610 D Projector - Super8wiki
              EFP MR16 HLX 64627 100W Photo Stage Projection LIGHT BULB Studio LAMP Photo NEW | eBay

Comment

So I just made an impulse buy! All this talk about the Eumig 610D got me into researching other variations of this projector line. So what did I buy? The Eumig made Bolex 18-3 Duo. Yep I needed another projector, NOT! Well I have justified this buy somewhat, here's why. The 18-3 Duo uses the same thread-style lens as my Mark M Super 8 machine. The lens diameters on both are 32 mm. So with that in mind, I'm thinking when the projector comes in, I will try using the spare Eumig lenses I have. The Austrovar 1.4 and the Eumig Suprovar 1.0. That should turn this into one heck of a machine! I better hide it from my Wife of course hahaha.
                Don I didn't mean to hijack your thread. However, this may also help you in search of a new machine. The Eumig 610D was sold in different variations as I mentioned above. Eumig also made several of these machines for Bolex. There's the Bolex 18-6, 18-3, and two versions of the 18-9. The Eumig line was the 510, 605, 607, 610, and several others. Below is a photo of the 18-9 Duo like I purchased.

Click image for larger version  Name:	rs=w_600,h_600.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	53.4 KB ID:	56160

Comment

While being very capable projector with all imaginable function you can expect from a dual 8 projector, this Elmo GP series projector is pretty complicated. More parts = more chances to go wrong. Although I consider myself having some repair skill/mechanics background, I'd doubt myself if I can do any major service task on my own Elmo.

Not for novice/casual user, just saying.

Therefore you may have better luck with some sprocketless projector such as previously mentioned Eumig, or Sankyo Dualux 1000H for example. Pretty simple and reliable beasts.

Comment

Working...
                  X