Making 3D films on Super 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making 3D films on Super 8

Ben is seeing double: Two cameras, two films, two shutter release cables and two big-arse bills from the lab. Follow the instructions and you can do it too! (though why you'd want to is anyone's guess)

That's some dedication there!

Comment

Beautiful example of 3D work on super 8. I actually had the same idea, complete with the "wood support", but not the same wood, of course, but using that headset for cell phones is a new neat twist!

Comment

What an amazing achievement Ed, the 3D is incredibly good, how did you sync the cameras?

Comment

It’s really amazing!!!!

Comment

So reminds me of my late father filming 3D with two cable tied 9.5mm cine cameras in the 50s. Later films were projected on two specto 9.5mm projectors linked together by cable again. He was passionate about 3D which I later shared. Wonderful to have 3D images of the family all these years later bouncing off the screen. So great is film!

Comment

That must be wonderful, Lee! If you ever find a way of mastering that 3D image to digital, we would love to see some of them. Well, at least, I most certainly will.

Comment

Ed, Thank you for posting this.

Lee, What an impressive achievement by your father.

This reminds me of Lenny Lipton's series of articles in Super-8 Filmaker back in November 1977. He used two electronically interlocked Nizo 561 cameras and two mechanically interlocked Eumig projectors. He has been a major force in 3D cinema for over 45 years.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6470.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	126.2 KB ID:	56648 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6469.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	132.2 KB ID:	56649

Comment

I remember seeing the demonstration of 8mm Cinerama with three projectors powered by external motors with a sync system. That was very impressive as they were at least 10ft from each other. A pair for stereoscopic projection would be easier to sync than that.

Comment

A real 3D super 8 screening requires:

first a perfect synchronization of two super 8 projectors:

https://www.facebook.com/1575034013/...3010159840092/

then the use of two polarized filters during projection and the proper 3D glasses for viewing:

https://www.facebook.com/1575034013/...3032129109310/
                    Last edited by Renzo Dal Bo; March 21, 2022, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Thank you.
                      I never achieved my late fathers full color 3D film productions but thanks to Spondon Films back in the day who were so keen on S8 3D I did build a analgyph 3D camera unit to capture family moments in 3D during the 80s.
                      More recent times the excellent Sony 3D HD camcorders kept that rolling but not film of course in 16:9

The reel film movies are special and take some effort to perfect building home made units using semi silvered mirrors etc but it sure was run!

Comment

Man, would I love to see those someday! It reminds me of when I would attach a large, lumbering German anamorphic lense to the front of my super 8 sound camera, back in the late 80's and filmed quite a few neat scenes in Yellowstone and elsewhere, and then seeing just how good it worked in projection, though what I did was much easier than your work.

Comment

See the rest of the story on "How to make your own Making 3-D Movies" Page 31

https://issuu.com/filmmaker8.com/doc..._seven_-_final

Comment

Working...
                          X