Need a bit of eBay advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a bit of eBay advice

Just got an eBay purchase in the mail of a rare feature (LILAC TIME). It was advertised as having "no vinegar smell or warping". I took a whiff of it as soon as I opened the package, and sure enough, there was a mild scent of vinegar. Is this something I should bring to the attention of the seller, or just accept as a hazard of the game?

Depends how bad it is which of course could be difference of opinion. If the seller is clueless did he/she lie? How easily can you prove it? If the seller accepts returns is it worth the hassle?

Perhaps keep it and in your feedback post simply say not quite as described.

consider how bad did you want the print?

Comment

Someone on Facebook suggested it may have been on the verge of VS and having sat in an Arizona postage facility may have pushed it over the edge. I'll probably keep the print and take the extra effort to stave off the worst effects of VS, since this is quite a special movie and I'd like to get at least a few showings out of it.

Comment

Nate ,
        would you have bought it knowing it has VS? If the answers no then I suggest a return or bin it ,Mark

Comment

Nate
          As this is in the 8mm Forum is it an 8mm print? I assume that as you say it has a "mild scent of vinegar" that it might be 16mm, perhaps the 1928 version.
          If it has VS it will always deteriorate with time, particularly in the warmer regions of the U.S.
          If the seller was not correct in his description I certainly feel that you should return it for a full refund.

Maurice

Comment

Something else to note in the shipping is that while in the box, the film was inside a thick plastic bag that was taped shut. That's... not an advised practice from what I know.

Comment

Is it a 16mm print?

Maurice

Comment

Originally posted by Maurice Leakey View Post
                Is it a 16mm print?

Maurice
                Nope, regular 8mm.

Comment

Thank you, Nate
                  It's a surprise to hear that a standard (regular) 8 film has VS problems.
                  I have hundreds of 8mm and Super 8 and have never experienced VS with any of them. 16mm, yes; but not 8mm.

Maurice

Comment

Are you sure, it's a VS smell ? Before I got my first VS print, I suspected several prints to be infected but they had just an unusual odor. A VS really smells vinagar.

Comment

I mean, it sure smells like vinegar to me... Is it really so uncommon for an 8mm print to develop VS?

Comment

Nate I have 3 - 8mm reels that although I don't have a test kit I know have VS. I didn't return the films to the seller...but I have isolated them from the rest of my collection.

Comment

I had a polyester-based print show up here once smelling of vinegar. How could a polyester print have VS? Well, it can't of course! The packaging can absorb the scent of the VS from its neighbors, though.

I have also had acetate prints show up with a very slight vinegar whiff that de-stunk once I got them out of sealed cans.

I guess they all won't: it's just up to you to figure out all the factors in the gamble of returning it or giving it a chance.

Comment

I do notice that the smell is even less pronounced more than it was just a couple days ago. Maybe I'm just getting myself worked up over nothing? I suppose giving the film a good cleaning and putting molecular seives in the cans can't hurt.

Comment

Nate
                              Try leaving them in the sun for a few days.

Maurice

Comment

Working...
                              X