A modified Eumig 610D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A modified Eumig 610D

So I just modified a Eumig 610D to accept the lens assembly from a Bolex 18-3 Duo. The 18-3 is from the same family of projectors made by Eumig. The 18-3 has the superior twist-to-focus lens. I got thinking why not upgrade my 610D. It fit like a glove and focuses perfectly. The 610D focusing is sloppy in comparison using a focusing knob that just never seems to get the whole frame in focus. This modification now allows me to dial in the focus and have perfect alignment from frame edge to frame edge. I am using a Eumig Suprovar 1.0 18-28 mm lens. This lens is an all metal constructed piece of beautiful glass.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220327_153137680_2.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	57168

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220131_211145006.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	57169

Well done Shane! Getting great super 8 projection is all about the glass!

Any news from the guy about the 800 series rubber disc drive resurface ?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Adsett View Post
      Well done Shane! Getting great super 8 projection is all about the glass!

Any news from the guy about the 800 series rubber disc drive resurface ?
      Thanks Paul! I am very happy with the results! I never liked the focusing on the 610D's. They are a great projector but this was always their weakness for me. The Eumig 1.0 with the twist-to-focus is a dream to use.

I haven't actually sent those discs to Terry yet. I know what am I waiting for! Well I think it's the need to send out $100 cash LOL. No I'm kidding about the money but I for some reason keep forgetting to get them in the mail. I will try to do so this Wednesday on my day off.

Comment

Very well done At school we used to use the 610D to project our animated film projects created in a small film unit great fun. That model was used by many small media businesses to transfer films in the early days and stood the test of time. The old School machine is here which I sleeved in a prime 12mm lens into way back. Still use it when a customer wants to see a home movie not viewed for years pre transfer.
        Great to read of your project and a top job!

Comment

There were many improvements from the 501D to the 610D but the focusing wasn't one of them.

Comment

Very nice, Shane! You're always coming up with something new. But you're right about the very sloppy focus on the 610d. Anything that can be done to fix that is a good thing!

Comment

Shane C. Collins Can you be more specific in describing the modification you made. From the photo It looks like you removed the focusing knob and it's face plate. How are you holding the lens in place?

Comment

For the bulk of the Eumig 600 800 range the later models were just adapted to accommodate the newer pin type lenses. So, you can retro to the old style slot focus by stripping from a defunct earlier model the brass register mount into a later 610 or 800 model.
                However, I do run the schneider or Eumig better lenses in them without modification by just manual lens focus. you will find enough pressure to hold the lens in place for hand held focus of the lens itself.
                If you have a early 810 lux you will see Eumig used to cover the old mech lamp cover hole for focus

Comment

Originally posted by Janice Glesser View Post
                  Shane C. Collins Can you be more specific in describing the modification you made. From the photo It looks like you removed the focusing knob and it's face plate. How are you holding the lens in place?
                  Hi Janice,

Basically I unscrewed the lens housing, held in place by two brackets, from the 18-3 Duo, and fitted it to the 610D. Both models use the same mounting hardware and brackets, 4 screws total. The only difference is the Bolex has a smaller lens housing, and the Eumig's is larger. But everything else is the same. I'm including a photo here to show you the 4 screws that hold the lamp housing in place. Once these 4 screws are removed the whole assembly pulls out.

PS: Thank you Joseph and Lee for the kind words! The only problem I am having is a slight blur of the projected image on the right bottom frame. I've tried to adjust the lens but it won't focus the whole frame as needed. Everything looks to be lined up properly. Could it be I need slightly more pressure from the pressure pad? Is there an adjustment I can do?

Click image for larger version  Name:	film_20_18-3-DUO_1594385668971.jpg Views:	0 Size:	167.0 KB ID:	57274

Comment

Thanks Shane...that pics helps alot

Comment

Originally posted by Janice Glesser View Post
                      Thanks Shane...that pics helps alot
                      Your welcome Janice! I should have included it in my first post.

Comment

That´s amazing, i didn´t know that Eumig has a 1:1,0 Lens too.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Knappstein View Post
                          This lens is from around 1968 and was made for the Eumig Mark DL. It's the heaviest lens I've ever owned. Solid metal and superb glass! Here's a screen shot from a brochure put out by Eumig in the late 60's.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2022-03-29 8.24.49 AM.jpg Views:	0 Size:	181.0 KB ID:	57303

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Knappstein View Post
                            A bright lens (the difference between the 1.4 is huge) but the picture is small if you cannot put your projector at a good distance from your screen.

Comment

Shane, why didn't you just leave the bolex as is and use that instead of the eumig as other than the focus they are basically the same projector. I have a bolex 18-3 and much prefer that to the eumig 600s because of the more accurate focus.

Comment

Working...
                              X