Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B&H 456A Issues & Questions

This is a Dual 8 projector.

I am converting from the DJL bulb to halogen EZK by way of a socket that screws into the dead pin holes of the old socket. When I went to check the alignment I noticed the fire shutter had not retracted. One can (with projector stopped) push it out of the way but it (gently) springs back. I am unable to even see much less understand what mechanism moves it. I was getting ready to rip it out when I noticed that running film seems to cause it to move. It seems to be related to film going through the upper part of the gate. Anyone understand it?

I did search the archived forums and found a few questions raised about this issue. But the replies were, AFAIK, incorrect. People seem to be confusing the fire shutter which is a few mm behind the gate with the safety shutter much farther back. This is a shutter which comes into the light path when the FWD / REV lever is in the middle neutral position. Both shutters are perforated metal. Suggestions were also made to check the manual. The manual talks about adjusting the safety shutter. I am unable to see any discussion about the fire shutter.

My other question is about the takeup tension and lack of it when winding up larger reels. This is a sprocket-less projector which surprises me that the design works at all. So obviously it is important not to have the takeup pull too hard since there is nothing between the claw-advanced film by the gate and the tug of the take up reel other than the long convoluted film path. I've taken the takeup spindle off but if there is any sort of clutch it must be internal and held in by the tiny crimps.

Hi Steve,
    Hello from Greensboro NC. To move the fire shutter, with lamp "off", move the direction lever (forward/reverse) in either up or down. The shutter prevents film frame burn when still framing an image. You do not need the projector power "on" when moving the direction lever. The second screen you see is for "normal" or "slow sped" and should move with film threaded and "normal" speed selected. I have done DJL lamp conversion on my B&H projectors, both regular 8m and super 8mm. I recommend for your projector use an ESD lamp, 150watt, 120volt, with 1.75 working distance to the film gate. This lamp uses the same oval 2-pin GY5.3 socket. The film tension for supply and take up is adjusted by a screw at the rear of the spindle. If this screw is plastic, do not overtighten. I hope this helps you. David L. Baker Greensboro NC

Comment

Working...
    X