Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Showing a film to a group of people legally?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ed, Thank you.

The case at the Golf Club involved music performance copyrights in a restaurant. I understand that the author applies that to showing movies, however.... I will ask the question again with an emphasis on first hand experience. Please note that I'm also separating this from any case involving "pirated' prints back in the day. I am not doubting that this has happened at some point, but I'm curious about the film collecting community of the present. Does anyone know someone who ran into trouble for holding a screening?

Comment

Many years ago a friend of mine who was an avid 16mm collector and was involved with a film society decided to include one of his films in the society's annual season. But first he contacted the major film library who held 16mm copies of his title to ask permission.

He received a reply that they would give their permission for a certain fee. This, it turned out, was the same as the hiring fee from their library. 😄

I told him he was lucky that they did not demand that he gave them his copy as in those days buying 16mm features was one h... of a risk.

I realise that this posting is not quite in line with the topic, but I thought it might be of interest.

Comment

Scott, Umit Mesut of Umit and Son regularly shows 16mm films at the Castle Cinema in London. Why not give him a call and ask his advice. 020 8985 1766

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Groves View Post
          Scott, Umit Mesut of Umit and Son regularly shows 16mm films at the Castle Cinema in London. Why not give him a call and ask his advice. 020 8985 1766
          Ah yes I know him! When I was last in London I visited him and he kindly sold me a copy of dr Caligari on 8mm. Wonderful store and person. Looking forward to seeing him again. I’ll certainly ask him his views on this. I believe he charges though but maybe the same deal.

Anyhow this thread seemed to cause a little bit of a stir and certainly not my intention, merely trying to understand if there was a common practice to deal with this and ensure that I understand a situation before considering it any further but seems more complicated than I thought.

Comment

Just a mention about Umit, met him on my first trip to London, so kind, gave me some films, boxes and a carry-on bag with his logo...will catch up with him again next-go - Cheers, Shorty

Comment

Scott

One thing not mentioned so far is the "Rating" of any film. Anything up to "M" our here is fine, however if it a "R" rated eg R16, "you" the exhibitor are responsible to make sure no one under the restricted age watches it. When I worked at the cinema I disliked "R" films, they were a pain in the neck to deal with. What we used to do was to ask for ID if they looked underage, or if they did not have ID, ask them "what year" they were born in?. that way you can quickly figure out if they are old enough.

I have not heard of anyone getting into trouble, showing one of films to very small groups, but its when "money" comes into it, that's when things can get sticky.
              I was asked about a year ago about a film show at a Heritage Park. The folk there thought you could just put up a screen, open to the public and just go for it. I advised them that this approach is a "no no" and gave them the contact details of the distributors. All they needed to do was call them, and discuss what they are all about, they will most likely tell you just use a DVD or blu-ray with using video projection of coarse these days and offer titles, plus give you most likely some helpful advice. The will charge a certain amount "they have to get there cut" but they will help. Doing it legal with "there OK" means you can advertise eg in the paper/internet and charge what you like.

In saying all that, putting on a small one of film show I can't see would be a problem, only when it gets a bit grand like I mentioned above you have to re think, but again even that, watch that film rating.

Comment

I now that when the Members' Club of the amateur theatre showed DVD's projected we had an annual licence that covered us for all FILM (but not TV) DVD showings.

Comment

[QUOTE=Douglas Meltzer;n57671]A reminder here, for everyone at all posting levels: Please don't insult other members.

You’re right Doug. My apologies to Martin Davey. I was actually making a bad joke in jest. And like Chris Rock I got slapped. 😅

Comment

Back in Falmouth on Cape Cod, there’s a carpet store that took over a closed main street cinema building. There’s no equipment left, but the original building is still remains a theater layout. Even the booth port holes are still there and it has been converted to general storage.

A friend of mine had the idea of buying the building and turning it into a Hollywood themed restaurant. One thing he asked me about, is if I’d be willing to setup and run my super 8 movies at night while the diners ate.

We brainstormed this idea for a long time. Finally we spoke with a lawyer in town and figured out that the idea was great – the movies would have been free and the diners would only pay for the food.

However the lawyer looked at me and said at any time the studios could file legal proceedings against us and there was a good chance that my library and all equipment could be seized and I would never see it again.

So the old cinema as of today still remains a carpet store……

Comment

Working...
                    X