Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lee Mannering
    replied
    Thanks for reminding us Chip I had forgot. Always make great shows the Titanic 8mm films and quite a few to choose from at that.

Leave a comment:

• Ed Gordon
    replied
    Thanks Chip. The Wiki quote above turned a simple question into a convoluted mess. It reminds me of the old quote, "If the Boss Asks You the Time, Don’t Tell Her How to Build a Watch"

Leave a comment:

• Chip Gelmini
    replied
    Ed:

Don't forget to include (subtract) YOUR OWN time zone difference. If you are 3 hours behind NYC, then your showtime should be about 7:50pm. Look at all the variables so you hit it spot on......

Leave a comment:

• Chip Gelmini
    replied
    Hi Ed

Thank you for your interest.

Awhile back I did some research on this. I got a lot of different history on Google. So I picked what made most sense to me and rolled with it.

Back in those days’ time zones had yet to be established. But taking this into consideration, the RMS Titanic was about 500 miles south of Newfoundland, Canada when she met her fate. That being said, she would have been one hour ahead of NYC time.

Basically she struck the berg at approximately 10:50 pm East Coast USA time zone. And again I must be clear that I am rolling with what I read that made the most sense to me.

I then put in the DVD of James Cameron’s movie and found the collision and noted the time when it appears how far in to the movie.

So if you have the DVD of your Titanic movie, find the collision, note the run time progress and figure out the difference. When you have that calculated, then set your start time so the collision hits at 10:50.

Hope this can help you.

Chip Gelmini

Leave a comment:

• Ed Gordon
    replied
    Chip, your post got me to reading about Titanic. On Wikipedia they note:

...Titanic ...struck an iceberg at around 23:40 (ship's time) on Sunday, 14 April 1912. Her sinking two hours and forty minutes later at 02:20 (ship's time; 05:18 GMT) on Monday, 15 April...

At the time of the collision, Titanic's clocks were set to 2 hours 2 minutes ahead of the Eastern Time Zone, and 2 hours 58 minutes behind Greenwich Mean Time. The ship's time had been set at midnight, 13–14 April 1912, and was based on the expected position of Titanic at local apparent noon on 14 April, which in turn was based on the star sights of the evening of 13 April, adjusted by dead reckoning. Due to the unfolding disaster, Titanic's clocks were not adjusted at midnight of 14–15 April.
    Another factor to consider is that Daylight Savings Time did not start in the USA until 1918.

How did you calculate the 9:10pm Florida time for the iceberg strike? Not that it matters, but I need to figure out when to start watching A Night to Remember!

Don't you just hate math story problems?

Leave a comment:

• Chip Gelmini
    started a topic Titanic (1997)

Titanic (1997)

April 14 will be the 110th anniversary of the disaster.

start your movie at 910 & she strikes the berg at the same time as it really happened

Referring to the James Cameron version.

Working...
X