Titanic (1997)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titanic (1997)

April 14 will be the 110th anniversary of the disaster.

start your movie at 910 & she strikes the berg at the same time as it really happened

Referring to the James Cameron version.

Chip, your post got me to reading about Titanic. On Wikipedia they note:

...Titanic ...struck an iceberg at around 23:40 (ship's time) on Sunday, 14 April 1912. Her sinking two hours and forty minutes later at 02:20 (ship's time; 05:18 GMT) on Monday, 15 April...

At the time of the collision, Titanic's clocks were set to 2 hours 2 minutes ahead of the Eastern Time Zone, and 2 hours 58 minutes behind Greenwich Mean Time. The ship's time had been set at midnight, 13–14 April 1912, and was based on the expected position of Titanic at local apparent noon on 14 April, which in turn was based on the star sights of the evening of 13 April, adjusted by dead reckoning. Due to the unfolding disaster, Titanic's clocks were not adjusted at midnight of 14–15 April.
    Another factor to consider is that Daylight Savings Time did not start in the USA until 1918.

How did you calculate the 9:10pm Florida time for the iceberg strike? Not that it matters, but I need to figure out when to start watching A Night to Remember!

Don't you just hate math story problems?

Comment

Hi Ed

Thank you for your interest.

Awhile back I did some research on this. I got a lot of different history on Google. So I picked what made most sense to me and rolled with it.

Back in those days’ time zones had yet to be established. But taking this into consideration, the RMS Titanic was about 500 miles south of Newfoundland, Canada when she met her fate. That being said, she would have been one hour ahead of NYC time.

Basically she struck the berg at approximately 10:50 pm East Coast USA time zone. And again I must be clear that I am rolling with what I read that made the most sense to me.

I then put in the DVD of James Cameron’s movie and found the collision and noted the time when it appears how far in to the movie.

So if you have the DVD of your Titanic movie, find the collision, note the run time progress and figure out the difference. When you have that calculated, then set your start time so the collision hits at 10:50.

Hope this can help you.

Chip Gelmini

Comment

Ed:

Don't forget to include (subtract) YOUR OWN time zone difference. If you are 3 hours behind NYC, then your showtime should be about 7:50pm. Look at all the variables so you hit it spot on......

Comment

Thanks Chip. The Wiki quote above turned a simple question into a convoluted mess. It reminds me of the old quote, "If the Boss Asks You the Time, Don’t Tell Her How to Build a Watch"

Comment

Thanks for reminding us Chip I had forgot. Always make great shows the Titanic 8mm films and quite a few to choose from at that.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	slides0090.JPG
Views:	446
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	58349 PROGRESS REPORT & SUMMARY

Here I am, sitting at the PC on the afternoon of April 15th, 2022. And I am thinking of the few survivors of the Titanic disaster who were on the Carpathia. As they headed for NYC, the survivors had to comprehend, and figure out what they had just experienced in the previous 12 hours. An incident marked in history that will forever be truly sad. However, historians will know that the Titanic disaster wasn’t the only incident of great sadness that occurred on this date. In 1865 on April 14th, John Wilkes Booth assassinated then President Abraham Lincoln during a stage play at a theater.

The evening presentation went very well. The Cinemascope print projected beautifully. Not even a hair in the gate! And the sound was impressive as well, nearly 1,400 watts of integrated amplifier discreet channel processing in Dolby Surround.

Now I am trying to be a person who doesn’t beg, brag, or ask for credit. But this time, I deserve it. The screening last night was in my opinion, the best presentation I have ever given in my screening room.

Renee came with her pre-teen kids Carmella & Angelino who were very well behaved. My next door neighbors Mike & Elaine also came in. Everyone left well impressed. Elaine texted me this morning and said she thought she was sitting in a big movie theater!

Love it, like it, or hate it….James Cameron’s Titanic is a true genuine masterpiece of cinema. It will be a long time before anything will surpass it.

Thank you for reading if you've made it this far!

Chip Gelmini

Last edited by Chip Gelmini; April 15, 2022, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Sounds like a successful presentation, Chip!
                Glad to hear it went well! Cameron's Titanic is a spectacal. Your audience were truly rewarded. No need to pat yourself on the back...

Comment

I always thought that the James Cameron film was well done and enjoyed watching it.

However the downer on this film for me, was how First Officer William Murdoch was portrayed. In Murdoch hometown of "Dalbeattie", a memorial fund was created for the High School. Residents of the town had objected to and requested an apology for the depiction of Murdoch. In April 1998. representatives from Fox did arrive in the town and presented 5000 pound for the memorial fund, but did not offer a formal apology.

There was never any historical evidence that Murdoch took money, shot a passenger then committed suicide.

James Cameron was later to say "it was probably a mistake" to portray a specific person and could understand the family's objections.

Comment

You can read about Murdoch at: https://jamescameronstitanic.fandom....illiam_Murdoch

Yes, Cameron's portrayal of Murdoch was fictional BS to enhance the drama. I am shocked! This must be the first time a movie has distorted history...

Mistakes like this can be understood:

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	58404

But errors like this have no justification:

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	58405

Of the three versions of Titanic I have seen, Cameron's version is my least favorite. I prefer the 1958 version, A Night to Remember, which is regarded as the most historically accurate.

The film is regarded as the most historically accurate Titanic disaster film, with the exception of not featuring the ship breaking in half. (There was still doubt about the fact she split in two when the book and film were produced. The accepted view at the time and the result of the inquiries was that she sank intact; it was only confirmed that she split after the wreck was found in 1985.) Lightoller's widow Sylvia Lightoller praised the film's historical accuracy in an interview with The Guardian, stating "The film is really the truth and has not been embroidered".
                    Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Nigh...rical_accuracy

Comment

The "Movie Mistakes" site has 287 errors for this film, admittedly a lot seem to be due tof the flipping of the image to show the side of the ship they didn't build.
                      https://www.moviemistakes.com/film1299

Comment

That is interesting Brian. I also noticed that Titanic (1997) is also listed as #10 on "Most movie mistakes of all time"

Comment

John Parkinson was one of my old teachers. His Dad helped build the Titanic and as a small child he saw the launch of the Titanic. He told his story many times but here is a short video made before his death in 2006 at 99.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p011l1hl

Comment

Mike, the content at the url above is restricted to UK users.

A childhood friend's grandfather was on the SS California the night the Titanic went down. I have vague memories of having tea with him and he talked about it being a memorable event that he slept through. We were too young to understand it all...

Much nearer was SS Californian, which had warned Titanic of ice a few hours earlier. Apprehensive at his ship being caught in a large field of drift ice, Californian's captain, Stanley Lord, had decided at about 22:00 to halt for the night and wait for daylight to find a way through the ice field. At 23:30, 10 minutes before Titanic hit the iceberg, Californian's sole radio operator, Cyril Evans, shut his set down for the night and went to bed. On the bridge her Third Officer, Charles Groves, saw a large vessel to starboard around 10 to 12 mi (16 to 19 km) away. It made a sudden turn to port and stopped. If the radio operator of Californian had stayed at his post fifteen minutes longer, hundreds of lives might have been saved. A little over an hour later, Second Officer Herbert Stone saw five white rockets exploding above the stopped ship. Unsure what the rockets meant, he called Captain Lord, who was resting in the chartroom, and reported the sighting. Lord did not act on the report, but Stone was perturbed: "A ship is not going to fire rockets at sea for nothing," he told a colleague.
                            Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinking_of_the_Titanic

Comment

Well, there are not many features which work so impressive on the big screen like Cameron’s TITANIC… And if You like the little ship model of the 1943/1958 versions more than the breathtakingly animated 1997 ship, it’s okay, too. Don’t look for mistakes: it’s the cinematic illusion that counts.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X