No announcement yet.

Titanic (1997)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the way they built a full size section of one side ogf the ship and actors playing the crew had emblems embroidered in reverse for some shots that they "flipped" so they could portray both sides of it.

Comment

I enjoyed all versions , but have to say A night to Remember in my mind is the best. Black and white helps to emphasis the disaster so much better than colour. Cameron’s version whilst a true epic production almost over glamorised this tragic voyage.
      Hohn

Comment

John

I agree I would highly recommend the blu-ray of "A Night To Remember" the restoration is excellent.

Oliver

If I remember right it was not all model work, the film makers did use a actual ship on the Clyde that was due to be scrapped as well. They got students from Glasgow University to paint one side of it black. I recall that a certain shipping line did try to stop them filming on it, but by that time they had managed to complete what they wanted out of it.

PS... The ship used in the filming was the RMS Asturias 2 .
        Click image for larger version

Name:	PC-AS03.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	61922

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1270030.JPG Views:	0 Size:	92.4 KB ID:	61921
        Last edited by Graham Ritchie; June 20, 2022, 04:08 AM.

Comment

A Night to Remember 1958

Arguably still the best movie depiction of the Titanic disaster to date with miniature work done at Pinewood supervised by Bill Warrington.

The model Titanic for the film was built by Shawcraft models Limited in only 6 weeks. It was built on a steel frame attached to steel drums for flotation and detailed predominantly on the port side. The starboard side was left open to allow access to the many interior lights. According to IMDB The model titanic was 35 feet long (10.7m) however a local newspaper article on the model builders has it at 40 feet (12.2m).
          Click image for larger version

Name:	shawcraft_titanic.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	61928

You can read more and browse dozens of photos at: https://www.modelshipsinthecinema.co...mber-1958.html

There is also a information of the 1953 version at: https://www.modelshipsinthecinema.co...r-blondes.html

The digital special effects in the 1997 Titanic were fantastic, and the star of the movie. For me, the remainder of the movie played like a soap opera and I doubt I could re-watch it without a fast forward button.

Comment

If you look at the 2nd class passenger list of the Titanic you'll find my last name there. Fred Banfield was a family member who did not survive!

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph Banfield View Post
              If you look at the 2nd class passenger list of the Titanic you'll find my last name there. Fred Banfield was a family member who did not survive!
              There is brief article on Fred Banfield at: https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.or...-banfield.html

Comment

Working...
              X