Bolex 18-5 Automatic retro-fit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolex 18-5 Automatic retro-fit!

So I decided to try a retro-fit on my Bolex 18-5 Automatic. This regular 8 projector was the 1963 upgrade to automatic threading. However it was only a partial auto-load system. After the film exited the last loop one had to guide the film to the take-up reel. So I decided to take the auto-thread film guide system from a 18-5L Super parts machine, and retro-fit it to the 18-5 Automatic. Guess what, everything lines up and it works perfectly! Here's a few photos showing the upgraded 18-5 Automatic. My next upgrade is converting this to a halogen bulb. I have a halogen assembly from a Elmo FP series machine on the way.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200312_104833.jpg Views:	0 Size:	105.0 KB ID:	5839
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200312_104243.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.1 KB ID:	5840

Shane C. Collins you are totally getting the most out of your Bolex 18-5 projectors. The one in your photo is a beauty.
    Last edited by Janice Glesser; March 12, 2020, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks Janice! It was fun working on this projector, and doing the upgrade. I bet it's the only regular 8mm 18-5 with this retro-fit LOL.

Comment

Great job Shane, your projector looks incredibly beautiful. That Bolex take-up reel is also really nice looking -wish I had one.

Comment

Thanks Paul! Yeah that Bolex take-up reel is pretty sweet! I do wish it was an auto take-up reel. Did Bolex make an auto take-up reel for the regular 18-5? The one on my 18-5L Super works really well, and always catches the film.

Comment

Nice work Shane!

Comment

Thanks Barry! Be sure to look for my last post showing my halogen upgrade for this machine. It turned out really nice!

Comment

Shane, I have not seen an auto take-up reel for regular 8 made By Bolex. You could use your S8 reel if you put an adapter on the rear spindle or on the reel.

Comment

That is a nice metal reel Paul. I don’t think the metal ones came with 18-5. I did have ones like Shane has there, but they came with the Bolex M8 projector.

Comment

Barry and Paul it looks like the original 18-5 from 1961 did come with this metal take-up reel. See stock photo below.
                    http://www.bolexcollector.com/projectors/185.html
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	185_1.jpg Views:	3 Size:	34.6 KB ID:	6520
                    Last edited by Shane C. Collins; March 25, 2020, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Barry the take-up reel from my 18-5L Super worked perfectly! I found an adapter and gave it a try. Here's a photo! Thanks for the tip!
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200325_210727.jpg Views:	0 Size:	112.9 KB ID:	6528

Comment

Working...
                      X