Speed adjustment on a Chinon 9500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed adjustment on a Chinon 9500

I made the stupid mistake of fiddling with my speed on my Chinon 9500. Now, I know that my there are three little speed controls near the left front on the projector. The question is, what do these three little "knobs" control? How do I successfully adjust these to get proper speed again?

Hi Osi! I don't know exactly where those 3 knobs are located but they could be for the sound section (adjust the signal input for example) since you indicate that they are on the left side. I suspect that the speed control knobs could be on the right side, in the speed adjustment area / selector 18 and 24. One way to adjust the speed would be to put a movie on and adjust the speed according to the sound of the movie. I don't know if I explain myself.

Comment

I tried that, but for some odd reason, I couldn't get the film to play through properly, it's rather hard to listen to the audio and adjust it with no clear audio to work with. I think I will try the optical sound tonight and adjust with that.

Comment

Osi
        Why not buy a 52 page Repair Manual which will no doubt give you the required details.
        Click, and then scroll down.
        Chinon 9500 Printed Manual (camera-manual.com)

Comment

I already have that manual, and it doesn't have a single thing to say about adjusting these speed controls. I guess they assumed that there wouldn't be an idiot in the far future, that would mess with these controls. By the way, the date for this manual MUST be wrong, as the very design of the Chinon 9500 had to be either from the late 70's to the early 80's.

Comment

It's a pity that the manual doesn't have the information you need. Perhaps a fellow member may know the answers.

Comment

That's what I am hoping.

Comment

From my memory I had a chance to handle only one Chinon projector year ago. Couldn't even remember the model no. - some basic mono sound model and that's all left in my brain. But I still can remember that its motor supply circuit was ridiculously simple. One power regulator transistor with 2 speed control pot (for 18/24 fps setting) and that's it, nothing fancy, at all.

Therefore it MIGHT be possible that this Chinon would use the very same circuity as well. And it should be simple enough for any general repair shop to handle that.

Comment

In the lower right front side of the projector there is a button that switches from 18fps to 24fps. You can then use the dial above it to adjust the speed slower or faster.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220420-230508.png
Views:	260
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	58679

Comment

Janice always can help with queries, but in this case I think that the outside control only alters the speed by a minimal amount, probably plus or minus a couple of frames.
                    In Osi's case the problem lies in the internal speed pots having been altered, and now it is necessary to reset them.
                    Chinon Sound 9500 – Spare Part Finder – Van Eck Video Services (van-eck.net)

Comment

That looks like it might help there, Maurice. I already know where they are, it's just a matter of the adjustment of the "pots".

Comment

​​​​​I have a Chinon 7800. The pots are located in the front for easy access. On mine the middle of the three pots controls the 24 fps speed. This may be different on the 9500. I use a non-metallic screwdriver to adjust the pots. I just run a film and adjust the sound so the voices sound correct to my ears. I find the pots to be very sensitive. It takes a lot of patience to get it stabilized.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20220421_205027095.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.1 KB ID:	58699

Comment

My using the optical sound trick worked, so now the 24 fps is back, but strangely, the speed control which allows variable speed, 18 or 30 fps, isn't working yet, so I am curious as to what to specifically adjust in order to return that function.

Comment

Working...
                          X