Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Playing Standard 8MM Reel (1/4" center) on Spindle Sized for Super 8 (1/2" center)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing Standard 8MM Reel (1/4" center) on Spindle Sized for Super 8 (1/2" center)

Hello, I'm an 8mm film newbie looking for a solution. My situation: I have a stack of Kodak Standard 8mm film reels from the 1960s containing family movies taken by my late grandfather. I purchased a Bell & Howell 1623 projector that is in excellent working condition hoping to show these reels at a family reunion. My research tells me that this projector is able to work with both standard 8 and super 8 films. However, the spindle on the projector is sized for Super 8 Reels only (1/2") and all my family reels are regular 8 (1/4" center hole). I can not seem to find an adapter that allows reg 8 to run on super 8 size spindle, though I see adapters to go super to regular are very common. I do have a reel that will fit the spindle (A Harwood Dual 8 Auto Rewind Wheel), but transferring manually has led to a complete mess each time I've tried. I welcome any suggestions or solutions or questions! Thank you.

If you have rewinds (hand crank) just use super 8 reels on the projector. When the reel is done be careful to rewind on to the original reel. Most dual 8 editors are good for this. A few extra steps but it gets you out of a jam

1. Use rewind. Transfer from reg 8 reel to super 8.

2. Now rewind r8 film from super eight reel from tails out to super eight reel to be shown.

3. Run the reel.

4. Repeat step 2 putting the reel back on r8 reel.

Comment

Michael

I don't know this projector but have just seen one on eBay with many pictures, one of which has operating details. Here is what it says about the convertible supply reel spindle:-

Sleeve should be pulled out for Super 8 reels, unlocked and pushed in for regular 8mm reels.

I hope this helps you.

Comment

I haven't seen any dual 8 projector that would accept only Super8 - sized reel spindle. The takeup side would be Super8 only size, but the supply side would almost always accept both size.

And this projector seems to be no exception.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bell-howell-model-1623-projector-dual_1_05f44d78e72568b1db410e52964c556e.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	59792

(Image shamelessly stolen from other sites.)

So yes, this projector will DEFINITELY accept small - size Regular 8 reels.

Comment

Most dual-8 projectors have a Regular-8 spindle on the front arm for the supply reel with a removable adapter that slips onto the spindle to fit the larger hole on Super-8 reels. That’s how my B&H’s work. Check to see if there’s an adapter you can remove,

often the adapter gets lost so only Regular-8 reels can be used.

Comment

I remember that Bonum spools always came with an adapter in case of that, or for people to use on standard 8 only machines, though I doubt if there were many that took 800ft.

Comment

Working...
            X