Anamorphic Widescreen Cinemascope LENS for Super 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anamorphic Widescreen Cinemascope LENS for Super 8

Hello, everyone! I've been trying to find out for a long time what kind of lenses for projections in anamorphic scope movies can be compatible for super8 projectors. My idea would be to have a list of compatible brands and models in case one day a second-hand one appears and to be able to acquire one. what makes and models do you use? any to avoid for example? Greetings and thanks for your knowledge!

I use a Kowa 8Z (I believe the 16Z is almost if neot exactly the same) and a Isco Iscomorphot 16mm, which also is very similar in lens diameters.

Avoid any that aren't 2x compression as with some Widescreen centre ones which are 1.5:1 and the very small Hypogonar which is 1.75:1..

Comment

I have been using an old German 35mm Mollier for years with no problem. It doesn't screw in, but it's pretty easy to construct a stand for it, so it's fine!

Comment

Thanks for the answers! So to use super 8, are the 16mm and 35mm valid?

Comment

Yes, but as Osi said some/most 35mm lenses are so big you need to build a stand to hold them in front of the projector.

Comment

Brian is correct. Build the proper stand and a 35mm will be best.

Comment

Also if going with an anamorphic designed for 35mm check it can be focused down to your required throw distance, some cannot go that low

Comment

I've found the Kowa 8Z to be the brightest.
                Fine with 16 mm & 25 mm short throw lens.

Comment

Your right Leo. I can throw, in focus, from five feet to infinity, so to speak. However, I would much rather have one one of those small super 8 designed Kowa's as well, as, duct taping that enormous 35mm scope lense to the front of a super 8 camera was a real pain in the arse! It could've done, and the results were great, but still a pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnau Pell View Post
                    Hello, everyone! I've been trying to find out for a long time what kind of lenses for projections in anamorphic scope movies can be compatible for super8 projectors. My idea would be to have a list of compatible brands and models in case one day a second-hand one appears and to be able to acquire one. what makes and models do you use? any to avoid for example? Greetings and thanks for your knowledge!
                    I have an NOS (brand new still in original box) of Elmoscope I. It is suitable for 8mm and 16mm. I have sold tens of this lens to members of this forum. If you are interested, you can send me a PM.

cheers,
                    winbert

Comment

My take on your choices.
                      If you are thinking of filming Super 8. In the 80's I used a Kowa 8Z and later projected my films with it. Best choice.

If you are looking for a more sensible priced Scope lens the Walton boxed kit is a very good choice. We use one in the Eumig HID lit projector which I modified using a ELF 16mm scope bracket and that can swing the lens out of the way. At the time this very good lens came with a free standing bracket. A very popular lens back then which works well.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	LMEscope.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	60091

Name:	LM Walton Scope lens advert.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	60092

If you want a professional Scope lens I use the Ultra Star High Definition lens from my 35mm projector. I measured the light transmission from it along with other lenses I had including the 8Z and this is defo the best. A investment that will last a lifetime. Bracket wise I use a Canon O ring on a free standing unit which is a joy to use.

Name:	LM Eumig Scope.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	60093

Whichever one you use enjoy the show!

Comment

Sorry for the late response. Have had computer problems and have now got an iPad . Another steep learning curve for an oldie! I use a Sankyoscope mounted on a stand. It is a focussing model about 50mm diameter and can be used for all gauges. Currently mainly on my Baur Super 8 projector. Ken Finch.

Comment

Working...
                        X