Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeking advice on sound not coming out of an ELMO Hi Vision SC-30-otherwise working.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Charlie,

When you say you did the above, did the head presser come down and make contact with the film?

I asked a question in post #20 about the button and the light above it. Is it on?

Doug

Comment

I suggest that the Instruction Manual might be a help in this situation. https://www.camera-manual.com/model/...ra-manual-3439

Comment

Thanks for the link to the manual MAURICE - that's actually really good to get hold of!

DOUG/ STEVE - we have action again ! Light is on, film is going through smoothly.

One question.... our old Super 8 family film does have sound on it but for some reason this particular film still isn't playing sound.

HOWEVER, my partner recorded his own voice over the top of the film & then fed the film back through the projector and it played the sound!

So would you agree (between you both) it's safe to say, that if it's playing his recorded voice over the top of the original film, this means it's able to play sound?

We're not sure why it's not playing the original sound - but maybe it's due to the age of the film (the recording is around 35 years olds) but funny it's playing his recorded voice onto the same film (?!).

Kind regards, Charlotte

Comment

Hi Charlie,

If machine is set to play track 2 you would only get the sound from track 2, but a camera would record on track 1. Maybe you've recorded new sound on "2" without doing anything with the real recording.

Please make sure that track selector switch is set for "1".

Comment

Hi Steve,

So you’re correct, it’s only recording and playing back on track 2 (via the remote Elmo mic), we’ve switched it to track 1 and tried recording and playing sound but to no avail.

Any suggestions? It Feels like we’re getting closer!

Kind regards, Charlie

Comment

Hi Steve/ Doug, It would be great to hear any further suggestions regarding the above post!

Kind regards, Charlotte

Comment

Hi Charlie,

I think what you are in need of is what I would call an objective standard. When I bought my very first sound projector I had nothing but silent prints, so no way of testing it. I camped out on E-bay a little while and looked for sound prints that were unbid and ending soon: bought myself a cheapie.

Now, there's no sin in this being some film you like, but its job is to be a probably good sound track to test your machine: eliminate one variable.

(If you wind up becoming a film collector, please don't blame us!)

What you can try even before then is take that track selector switch and move it back and forth through the three positions a bunch of times. It sounds like a likely suspect for the trouble you are having.

Comment

Hi Steve, thanks again,

We've ordered a short reel with sound from eBay.

We've tried doing the channel switch selector trick many times now but nothing's happening. We've cleaned the tape heads, and tried recording and playing back on both Track 1 and Track 2 - only track 2 records and plays back. Any idea why that might be? We did actually get some sound playback but just can't figure out how to get the sound running normally.

Charlie

Comment

Hi Charlie,

You wrote "We did actually get some sound playback but just can't figure out how to get the sound running normally." Does this mean you were getting intermittent sound from track one?

And just to eliminate one more possibility - have you tried listening to playback using headphones?

Doug

Comment

Hi Doug,

We are getting continuous sound from track 2, not sound that was previously recorded on our home movie reel, this is sound I recorded onto track 2 with the remote/mic. Despite cleaning the tape head we still have no sound from track 1.

I have tried the headphones again but its the same as with the speakers - which is sound from track 2 only. Incidentally, I noticed on my headphones (which I know are in working order), only the left ear was playing audio. I turned the track balance knob between track 1 and 2 and whilst that demonstrated that only track 2 was playing sound, I still only got sound from one ear.

Thanks,
                      Charlie

Comment

Just a caution: These headphone jacks are monaural and will give you sound in one ear anyway.

They are tip and sleeve, so you will hear sound in your left ear. There is no ring contact in the jack, so right will be no signal.

So far what you have is a functional speaker, power amplifier and head for track 2. What's missing is the function of the head for track 1. (This is a twin track machine, not true stereo like the GS-1200 or GS-800: there is only one power amp.)

I doubt it's your head: I've never seen one go dead. It's a big Universe: anything possible does eventually happen, but this probably isn't the coin toss where it ends up landing on edge!

It could be a connection: some bad switch or connector pin or broken wire or PC board trace or solder connection.

I have an ST-1200HD and a few years ago my track 2 went sour. A Forum member sent me a schematic and based on everything else working, I guessed it was one of the pre-amplifier ICs on the sound board. They were obsolete, but I managed to find them on E-bay. I have this friend who's a Soldering Ninja, and he replaced them all for me. It made things right again.

It could be this, yet doesn't have to be. (Elmo was very fond of this IC, I've seen it in other machines they made)

Comment

Working...
                        X