No announcement yet.

Bolex 18-5 Halogen Upgrade! My Results!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolex 18-5 Halogen Upgrade! My Results!

So I finally got around to converting my Bolex 18-5 Automatic regular 8 projector to halogen. I decided to use a bulb assembly from a Elmo FP Series machine, and screw it fast to the projector. It took many tries, aligning, and adjusting the screws, but the end result turned out really nice! I did have to cut a portion of the heat shield on the lamp housing cover, but that worked out in the end. Here are some photos of my DIY. Please note, the photo showing a projected image also shows the shadow of my finger in the lower right corner. This does not look this way upon projection.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200316_194210.jpg Views:	0 Size:	86.7 KB ID:	6085 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200316_194258.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	6089
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200316_194324.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.6 KB ID:	6086
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200316_184731.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.1 KB ID:	6087
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200316_194036.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.1 KB ID:	6088
    Last edited by Shane C. Collins; March 16, 2020, 07:04 PM.

Looks like those screws worked well Shane. The biggest issue with that projector is fitting the cover back on. You discovered that the heat shield hits the lamp holder. I didn't cut mine but rather flattened it as best I could. Your cover probably will fit much better having the entire heat shield removed, but more light will come through.

​​​​​​This is a great upgrade for the Bolex. It economically extends the life of a beautifully designed projector. Great job Shane!

Comment

Thanks Janice for the kind words! The screws did work quite well but there were some issues along the way. First I had to figure out the correct length I could use as there's a metal plate behind the lamp housing area. The plate is basically what holds the projector's front section to the frame where the motor and gears are. I was able to use short screws that went in through the front lamp housing metal area. These screws just touched the back of the metal plate I described above. It worked out in the end but it was tricky to get right. Plus I had to drill a pre-hole before I could use the screws that would secure the lamp bracket. I used a marker to mark the two holes for the bracket. I connected the lamp to the two wires from the projector, and basically held the bracket in place until I determined the projected light was even from left to right, etc.
      Also the heat shield on the lamp housing cover worked out with only needing to cut the lower right section. The rest of the heat shield is clear from the lamp and bracket. In the end it was a fun project but was a lesson in patience's at times haha.

Comment

Nice job Shane. Regarding the shield, it is actually a light shield so removing part or even all of it would actually make the lamp house interior better ventilated.

Comment

A light shield that makes sense Barry. I have noticed since I cut a portion of this shield the lamp housing has more air coming out. I bet it is a bit cooler in that area now. I didn't want to cut all of it out because of light leakage in a darkened room. The way I made the cut does allow some light to transmit out but not enough to spoil a good projection.

Comment

Working...
          X