Questions! Eumig 807 vs 807D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions! Eumig 807 vs 807D

I have two Eumig Mark S 807 (Super 8 only) and two Mark S 807D (8mm or Super 8).

The 807D has two sets of sprockets and two film gates, plus a spindle adapter for the feed reel.

It also has a very different film path, with an elaborate apparatus of film guides under the lens housing. The 807 (Super 8 only) has instead a one-piece button for threading. See the photo please.

(I guess it is possible that the design change affected ALL the 807 models, and my 807D are both more recent than my 807. But my working assumption has been that it's a difference in model, and not in production date.)

Getting these machines to thread properly hasn't always been a picnic! I've learned the value of having a long leader.

Using a toothpick and with left hand on the control knob, it is possible to bypass those black film guides on the 807D by guiding film to the left after the gate, around the white nylon piece you can see just under the pressure pads. For a time, I believed this was the correct film path and I did this each time I threaded. But yesterday, I switched one of my 807D to 8mm mode and the film threaded perfectly, taking the long path around.

1) Why does the Super 8 only version (807) have a simpler and shorter film path?

2) Is the longer film path on the 807D intended for both types of film, or only for standard 8mm?

Thank you, experts, for any insight.

The difference in the threading path is due to the difference between the 18 frames sound to picture separation of super 8 compared with 56 frames separation for standard 8. So the standard 8 film requires that big bottom loop between the gate aperture and the magnetic sound head. The standard 8 gate for the 807D has a little extension tab on it which very cleverly sends the film shooting down the long loop threading path whereas the super 8 gate has no such tab and super 8 film always takes the short loop direction. Eumig were indeed genius engineers!😊
    Last edited by Paul Adsett; June 02, 2022, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Thank you Paul! You are today's hero. I was mulling it over and the thought came to me "Maybe the gates are different" but I hadn't examined them yet. BINGO. There is also a N/S (normal/super) switch near the sound head. I always considered standard 8mm to be a silent format. Live and learn things.

Comment

Kirk this is VERY IMPORTANT- BEFORE REMOVING OR REPLACING THE GATE AND/OR SPRUNG GATE PLATE YOU MUST FIRST POITION THE LITTLE WHITE DOT ON THE INCHING KNOB( AT THE LEFT END OF THE PROJECTOR) TO 12 O'CLOCK.
        If you don't do this you will break off the claw pin. Ebay is full of Eumigs where owners have broken the claw pin on these 800 series projectors. So get the drill in your head and never forget it.

Comment

I have been lucky so far. Now I'll be attentive instead.

Comment

I'm so impressed by my Bolex 18-5 and 18-5L. Is the SM8 comparable in build and reliability? Might I be happier with an SM8 than with my Eumig 807?

Comment

Is the speed on these Eumigs variable between 18 and 24 fps? Or were they designed to be locked into one of those two speeds? I recently tightened the spring a bit and mine is running a little more smoothly now.

Comment

Completely variable between the two speeds (adjust only with motor running but projection switch central, not forward or reverse).

Comment

Originally posted by Kirk Anderson View Post
                  I'm so impressed by my Bolex 18-5 and 18-5L. Is the SM8 comparable in build and reliability? Might I be happier with an SM8 than with my Eumig 807?
                  I just recently purchased a Bolex SM8 and I am very impressed with it's build quality. I only project silent films, but this projector allows you to do so by pulling out the selector knob as you turn the projector to play. The auto-threading works very well, and is similar to the early 18-5's, where you push the threading button down until the film reaches the rear sprocket. Once the film has reached this point you turn the selector to play. I have the later model with the 3 knobs. The lens is the same size as the later 18-5L Super, 28 mm. I swapped out the stock zoom and replaced it with my Bolex prime. The lens is a twist-to-focus style that is very precise. I'm planning to do a review here of this projector in the coming weeks.

Comment

Working...
                  X