Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super 8 magnetic sound amplifier bypass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super 8 magnetic sound amplifier bypass?

I expect that the answer is no or else somebody else would have tried this by now...but. Would it be possible to connect the mag sound head of a super 8 projector to a mag head preamp for use with a different than the one built into the projector? I have a Kodak m-100 that has a beautiful picture, but as noted by many the m100 doesn't have very good amplifier. My idea was to use a magnetic sound head preamp made for tape heads and run it into a home theater amplifier. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I'm sure it's possible to do, but one thing you would have to be careful about is keeping the connection between the head and the pre-amp very short: the signal coming off the head is very weak and given a lot of lead-length you would pick up interference such as hum that could mess-up the signal.

If it was me, I'd build a little pre-amp circuit with an op-amp and mount it right by the head. Once you boost up the voltage of the signal it can travel more distance without pick-up becoming significant compared to the signal.

-Would it work? I'd only know that after I built it!

BTW: I've always admired the Kodak M100: it sounds like a great machine!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Steve, I think ill give it a shot. Its very easy to access the sound head on the m100 so a mod would fairly easy.

Comment

I've often thought about converting my Sankyo 301 (which seems to have 2 track heads) or a dual gauge Eumig to stereo by doing this, but never got very far.

Comment

Hi Robert,
          If you have a circuit diagram you could try taking a feed from the preamp to a suitable better power amp, just a thought as matching would not be a problem. Best of luck with your project !
          John

Comment

John, Pm sent

Comment

Robert pm sent

Comment

Working...
              X