No announcement yet.

Julie Andrews on Super 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There were actually two films. Die Trapp-Familie (1956), and a sequel, Die Trapp-Familie in Amerika (1958), both were quite successful.

Georg the father was actually a gentle, warmhearted parent who enjoyed musical activities with his family. While this change in his character might have made for a better story in emphasizing Maria's healing effect on the von Trapps, it distressed his family greatly. He also died in 1947 and wasn’t around to complain.

Maria was the iron fist of the family.

Georg was also technically Italian not Austrian born in Zadar now Croatia it was part of Austria/Hungary empire but was part of Italy from 1920. He held Italian citizenship as did his wife and children.

There were 10 children not 7. They were already musically inclined before Maria arrived.

Georg was reasonably well off when Maria married him. Lost all their money during the depression. Maria sacked all the servants made the move to music family. They were in the singing entertainment business well before the war.

She stated in many interviews she didn’t love Georg but liked him.

They didn’t leave at night being chased by nazi across the Alps to Switzerland. They left by train for a pre arranged tour with their agent to Italy, Europe and America.

Steve agree with you about Salzburg. Nice wee city doesn’t compare to Vienna. Never want to see another Mozart chocolate bar again.

The rest is showbiz!

Want a real horror story look up Robert Stroud Birdman of Alcatraz fame. Certainly not as portrayed in the film. There were reasons why he was never released from prison and you certainly wouldn’t want to be in a room alone with him. 🧟‍♂️

Comment

Yes, our trouble is we went to Vienna at the end of the trip. We didn't have enough time and had burned off our enthusiasm for traveling by then. Didn't see nearly as much as we should have.

-same thing happened to Berlin the next time we went!

-a marriage of convenience ehhhhh? Tough job making a musical out of that!

I am 32 going on 33, no one will marry me!
      You are much older, stooped at the shoulder, baby we're meant to be!
      I am 58 going on 59 and I have all these kids!
      I if should croak it would be no joke, they WILL wind up on the skids!

If you marry me,
      They'll make a musical!
      Fictional though it be!
      When you're 58 going on 59 that's the best it could be!

(The Sound of Music: the version nobody wants to see!)

Comment

Hi Steve

More Kathy Bates from Misery than Julie Andrews. Memories of Vienna lots of walking and steps. You need to be fit and young.

Comment

Welll...

Fraulein Maria was no Julie Andrews!

(-pretty steep standard for anyone to live up to!)
          Last edited by Steve Klare; June 27, 2022, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Klare View Post
            Welll...

Fraulein Maria was no Julie Andrews!

(-pretty steep standard for anyone to live up to!)
            Not unless your best friend was a guide dog.

Comment

I think Paul may have indirectly answered my question in his first post on this thread...... but I will ask it anyway.....

Apart from the Jolly 'Oliday and Super Nanny extracts from Mary Poppins, was there ever a 200' release of "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" ?
              And if there wasn't..... that is something "Quite atrocious!"

Comment

A portion of "Super..." is in the Piccolo 300' digest of "Mary Poppins" with a German soundtrack. Click image for larger version

Name:	Mary Poppins.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	304.7 KB
ID:	62391

Comment

Excellent!

Per Google Translate: "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" is "Superkalifragilistischexpiallegetisch" auf Deutsch!

(I can't decide if that's much of an improvement!)

Comment

Thanks Carter ! I have never seen that cut down before but nice to know that at least a bit of it is on super 8.

Comment

Working...
                    X