Changing the exciter lamp on a GS-1200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing the exciter lamp on a GS-1200

I've had a few of these projectors over the past couple of decades but I rarely had to change out the exciter bulb. Mostly played magnetic sound prints. But I recently got an optical sound print and need to change out the bulb. I cannot figure out how to turn it loose! It seems locked in. Is there a secret to this? I remember on 16mm projectors just pushing it down and twisting but this isn't budging. I know on the ST model I have it has a little lever underneath to push up and release the bulb. Help anyone? I would love to watch this film with a new optical sound bulb.

Enjoy the film! As an addition to this series of posts, who happens to have additional Exciter lamps for replacement?

Comment

Hey Osi! Thanks for the film. Still hoping for a suggestion in getting that old bulb out of there without damaging something. It just won’t budge. I replaced many exciter bulbs on Elmo 16mm in the past and it was easy.

Comment

Mark
        Look at page 52 to change the lamp.
        It just turns without pushing down. It uses a BRS lamp.
        ELMOGS1200.pdf (film-tech.com)

Comment

Mark, Try using a rubber glove or something similar to grip the bulb while pushing down slightly and turning counter clockwise to remove. I recently removed mine to replace some other parts and I know that it (the lamp) could be stubborn.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I have now tried 2 different BRS bulbs thinking the one I replaced was burnt out. It looks fine, there is a problem with the exciter getting power from the projector I guess. Is there a fuse anywhere for this bulb? I guess I'll have to dig out my old (and not as bright of a projection bulb or lens) ST-1200 to watch this optical film.

Comment

Mark
              Is the centre contact nice and clean? It's possible that the lamp holder may need some attention. Have you got a meter to check?
              Perhaps the service manual might be able to help.
              GS1200SERVICE.pdf (film-tech.com)

Comment

Working...
              X