Chinon Sound SP-330MV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinon Sound SP-330MV

Any opinions on the Chinon Sound SP-330MV? Good, bad, or otherwise?

Hi Dave. I actually like the 330MV because it seems to be much more affordable (on Ebay, etc) than other Chinon models, and it uses an EFP bulb which lasts and lasts. I find that the projected film slightly swims on the screen, but this could easily be an adjustment issue and not necessarily a design issue. Welcome to the Forum!

Comment

Hi Dave!
      ne passed through my hands. If the use that you are going to give it is going to be very punctual or minimal, it is fine since they are cheap projectors (or they should be!).
      But if your intention is to enter this world and stay, I would recommend others.
      The Chinon sp330 (it is the same as the Revue Lux Sound 35) is a projector made of plastic, light and easy to maintain and easily replaceable bulbs for little money but
      Among its limitations, it has a maximum coil size of 120 meters - 400 feet and its focus and zoom is manual.
      I attached a couple of photos of the one I had

Click image for larger version

Name:	i2305247466.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	64040

Name:	i2305247441.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	64039

Comment

Thanks for the info. I had a brand-new silent Chinon projector in the early 1980’s and I didn’t care for it. But now I have a Bolex and two Sankyo projectors. I think I’ll stick with those. 😁

Comment

I bought a Chinon SP-330 in July 2007 and have been pleased with it. It is not an MV variant which I believe indicates that it will also play Optical sound films.
          I have many Chinon projectors and always have found them to be very reliable, more so than some other makes. However, many people do not like their plastic gates, but I must say I have never had any trouble with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Maurice Leakey View Post
            However, many people do not like their plastic gates, but I must say I have never had any trouble with them.
            The plastic gate is what bothered me the most! It just seemed to be so cheap and poorly built. Also, the picture wasn't very stable (I do not recall the specific model I had). Having said that, I was gifted a GAF projector years ago as a young teen, so I will admit the Chinon that replaced it was an upgrade of sorts.

Going a bit off-topic...That Chinon was quickly replaced by a Bell & Howell "FilmoSound" projector. It was OK. I must admit the cheap GAF had the sharpest lens out those particular three projectors.
            Last edited by Dave Bickford; July 29, 2022, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Will the Chinon Sound SP-330MV play standard 8mm as well as the super 8?

Last edited by Dave Antal; November 28, 2022, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Dave,

This projector only works with Super 8mm film.

Comment

I found a picture of a DS-300 version in "Super8filmaker" if that's any help.

Name:	P1310554.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	69779

Comment

Here is a photo of my SP330MV and yes as Doug said it is super 8 only. Glad I saw your post. It reminded me to pull down this projector from my closet. I have not tested it since I moved over 2 years ago. It's not a high-end projector but is a super 8 sound machine and if in good condition is a nice projector.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20221128_233438014.jpg Views:	0 Size:	129.0 KB ID:	69793
                    ​​​

Comment

Working...
                    X